10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2012 2:41 PM by Don Cheke

SW 2013 SP1 Fails to install

Don Cheke

I have tried 3 times to install bit it fails each time. My resellar said to try this:

Don,

Remove the Microsoft Visual Studio files from Programs and Features, rename the following registry files  and  re-install SW 2013: 

1. Uninstall the existing VSTA installation from Add or Remove Programs
      2. Rename following registry keys:

x64
      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VSTAHost
      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VSTAHostConfig

x86
      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTAHOST
      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTAHostConfig

3. Install VSTA from the SolidWorks media: <DVD/download folder>\PreReqs\VSTA\vsta_aide.msi)
      4. Install SolidWorks using Installation Manager again.

I did this with the exception of renaming these below because I could not find them All my reg entries start with HKEY, not HKLM

x64
      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VSTAHost
      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VSTAHostConfig

Any suggestions?

• Re: SW 2013 SP1 Fails to install
          Deepak Gupta

HKLM means HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Don Cheke

Thanks Deepak,

What am I supposed to rename them to. Just something so they are not found and new ones are created during unstall?

Deepak Gupta

Rename the two keys (you'll find in the path listed above). Check attached pic.

These will be created once you install/update to SP 1

Don Cheke

Thanks Deepak,

Well this has sure been a waste of time as this whole process takes so long and this was my fourth try.

This time I completely uninstalled SW2013, removed the MVS files, renamed the registry and began a reinstall from scratch. It supposedly was to download and install SW2013 SP1 and this failed too. It really shouldn't be this complicated. Perhaps SP1 is not really ready for installation.

Screen0033.jpg

Screen0035.jpg

Deepak Gupta

I just updated to SW2013 SP 1 with no issues. The way I do is create the admin image for the base install i.e SP 0. Then while downloading the next SP, I create a new image using the SP 0 image (this is an option while you install). This doesn't take much time and installs with no issue.

Don Cheke

I appreciate your input Deepak but I don't understand creating images, etc. I have never had to do anything like this with any other software I have installed. Only SolidWorks make this a painful affair. I will just leave it for now.

John Kreutzberger

Having a similar problem here with installing sp1 for 2013. I got the same advice about uninstalling SW and all of those other Microsoft programs.

I have 13 different programs that contain the words:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 [or 4.0]

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005[/2008] Redistributable

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Applications (VSTA)

Do I need to uninstall every one of them before re-installing SW?

I have never used the administrative image and have been installing different versions and service packs since 1998. Luckily my production machine is still on 2012. I had loaded SW onto a brand new notebook off the dvd 10 days ago and was merely trying to apply sp1 before testing it on some real work.

I think there is a bug in the installer. I have uninstalled SW (even got some BS during that) and deleted all folders. Will I need to go and clean out the registry too or is that a thing of the past?

I am going to get some work done on the other machine and try this all again after a few days. I'll continue to check back here.

Anna Wood

Don,

Just append something like .bak to the keys. This will keep the keys as a backup.  The install will create new keys as needed.

Cheers,

Anna

Don Cheke

6 tries and a few hours later I got SW2013 SP1 to install.

I don't know if it was necessary to remove the Microsoft Visual Studio files but I did it each time, except for the last. What I did was:

1. uninstall SW2013.

2. delete all references to SW2013 in documents, on my C:Drive and in my registry.

3. cleared all SW downloads from My Documents, except the last one for SW2012 and the SP2013 SP1 I had just downloaded.

4. ran setup.exe in SW Downloads file for SW2013 SP1 and let it install

5. Help/About now reads SP1.0

IMHO, something is wrong with the update process to require such a huge amount of work.