14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 7:23 PM by Jared Conway

Wire Mesh Design

Sai Praneeth Gunturu

Hi  ,

I want to design a wire mesh (approximate length of 50 feet) as shown in below (picture1) and want to roll it so that it forms a circular entity. Can someone help me how to design the wire mesh and form a circular entity?

Actually,  wire mesh are two in number that makes certain angle with each are placed one up on the other (see picture 3) and then rolled to form a circular entity. The end product will have alternate wire mesh that is one followed by the other.

Picture discription:

Pic 1- Wire Mesh

Pic-2 : Angled Top view

Pic3: wire mesh 1 makes certain angles with wire mesh 2 and rolled forms a circular entity

Thanks in advance

Praneeth

• Re: Wire Mesh Design
          John Burrill

Solidworks doesn't do these kinds of geometry deformations.  If you want a real-for-real wire mesh pad that has the corrugation shown in your pictures, attempts to model it are going to put an incredible burden on your CPU cores and will probably be uneditable.  If you were modelling this for a movie or photo-realistic rendering, I suggest using a software package that simulates hair for your render phase.If you just want your cylindrical part to look like it's made of this stuff, then I'd suggest a combination of modeling the overall shape and applying a texture map of the mesh with the back-ground masked out similar to what Solidworks does with the chain-link material.

Sai Praneeth Gunturu

Hi John,

I need to model this to do some flow simulation. I tried modeling it as a solid body and defining porousity but that did not work, so I thought to design it as wire mesh.

I was told that Chain link will only add appearence to the design is that true??

-Sai Praneeth

John Burrill

Yeah, chain-link is going to only give you a visual effect.  If you're going to model this real-for-real, then you're going to have to model the fibres in their deformed state and then pattern them.  The problem is that you'v got multiple interwoven entities deformed into a corrugated sheet, deformed into a cylinder.  You might try using equation driven splines to define the paths of the wires in the mesh.  You can create composite functions (effectively) using equation driven splines so if you understand the math well enough, you can produce the finished feature.  It's too bad the porosity settings aren't going to help you.  Did you try asking in the simulation group for help with them?

John

Chris Michalski

Sai -

have you considered modeling it as a perforated sheet instead?  The meshing of a complex shape like this will eat up LARGE amounts of memory, even for a small area.

Also, Flow does everything in rectangular coordinates so coiling thin pieces will leave radii which get trimmed into partial bodies. 

What are you actually trying to simulate?  You should be able to get the same end result with much less problem by using the porous media if you know the right parameters.  If you are getting unusual results then it is better to put your time and effort into correcting those settings.

The other option might be to use the EFD zooming in order to solve the flow through a small area like this where appropriate.

Sai Praneeth Gunturu

Chris

I am trying to chek the flow distribution and back pressure across the circular entity. Air comes on to the circular entity from 4 inches dia pipe with certain flow velocity, pressure and temperature and passes through this circular entity. When I tried to model it as a solid body and define the porousity, gases are travelling in straight line from one end to another but that is not the same in actual case, there is every possibility of gases to distribute across the cricular entity even after entering the circular entity. And more over I tried to play with the porousity values ranging from 0.3 to 0.8 giving specific length, area and air flow vs pressure curve but the back pressure is always the same. These are the reasons that forced me to go for wire mesh design.

what is this EFD zooming ? Can you explain me more about this?

Chris Michalski

1st: you will likely get more meaningful response concerning simulating this part by moving it into the flow or simulation headings.

If the length of this part is long enough then changing the porosity of the mesh might be a secondary effect if backpressure is largely defined by the cross-section of the inlet and outlet.

I have not used the porous media settings before so it might simple act as a uniform pressure drop and otherwise be an invisible part.

I might compare this by creating a simple model of a thin cylinder with an array of holes cut in it.  Then compare the result to the porous media.

EFD Zooming allows you to simulate the overall flow characteristics, then assume those remain constant while zooming in on one area of the geometry to run a more detailed simulation.  There is a section in the Flow Simulation class about it.  I have never looked farther to see what examples are in the help files.

Sai Praneeth Gunturu

Is there any way I can move this post to flow simulation? I want people to go through these replys as there is high chance of getting same replys if I just repost my question there.

My cylindrical/circular entity is 0.25 meters long, I think porousity value has less effect on the back pressure value (not positive though).

More over in table and curves in Porous media section I need to define the volume flow rate and pressure difference... is this pressure difference across the cylindrical entity?

I tried to create solid model with holes and run the simulation, it taking ages for me to just zoom in zoom out. I think that is not a good option

Chris Michalski

The information you enter in the Engineering Database is universal, not specific to this geometry.  So when you insert the length and area and pressure drop, this should be from testing data or based on 'unit' dimensions (e.g. 1 square meter area x 1meter thickness).

If you have data from a manufacturer they should give you the pressure drop relative to similar dimensions.

If you perform your own pressure drop testing you can enter the actual area and thickness and then tabular data of pressure drop to mass flow rate through the media and Flow will scale this to any geometry in the future that you apply this same porous media.

Sai Praneeth Gunturu

Chris,

I have test data.. which we tested on our own system. I randomly picked 4 points from the test data  which included the intial and final values of the flow rate and back pressure and tabulated them to form a curve in SWX. But now the back pressure was over ten times to what we expected.

Earlier, I considered only one point ( I am not sure where it came from because the person who worked earlier on this defined it) then the back pressure was in considerable range. But since it is a curve plot I think defining only one point dosent make any sense to me. 

which one do you think is correct, defining multiple points or just single point? if you support single point, why?

Sai Praneeth Gunturu

I could not figure out the solution.... any one working on similar stuff? I would like to apprecite your reply.

Thanks in advance,

Sai Praneeth Gunturu

Mohd Hambali Anuar

Hello anyone can help me to create this drawing. the size of this drawing is 14mm the largest.imej.jpg

im try to model this device using solidworks 2011, can anyone give sugeestion to draw this device.