9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2012 2:23 PM by Joe Kuzich

Laser Compatible?

Jeremy Horn

Hello, I have a Universal Laser, and I would like to try Solidworks for designing and printing to the laser.  I need to know if there is any way to make a custom page size in the page setup.  My engraving field is 18"x32" and I need the page size to match that.  From what I have read, there is no way to use custom page sizes, but I thought I would ask here first.  We are currently using CorelDraw, and I am not very happy with the CAD portion of that software.  Thanks!

• Re: Laser Compatible?
          Jeremy Feist

sure you can. right click on the sheet and go into the sheet properties.

Capture.PNG

Jeremy Horn

Thank you!  That looks like it would work.   Do you happen to know if Solidworks has any issues printing hairlines?  Our machine works on Vector and Rastor.  In order to cut shapes, lines have to be recognized as a hairline.

Also, on a whole different subject, do you happen to know if you can setup Solidworks to read from individual cell from Excel?  We do Serial numbers based on an Excel Spreadsheet. I would like to setup a template of 96 pcs that would be linked to 96 different cells in my Spreadsheet.....Does this sound possible?

John Burrill

You can link sketch text to a custom property-which can be driven by a design table.

Jeremy Feist

I am unfamiliar with a "hairline" in reference to a drawing, so I can't help with that one.

I do not know of a way to have a drawing read from an excel table, though you can embed one to have it displayed on the drawing. though I doubt that will get you anything useful for your laser.

you can link custom properties in a part or assembly to excel through a design table. it depends on what need it to do.

Joe Kuzich

Hairline on a drawing is where the ink stops printing or bonding to the paper leaving a bald spot.

Ok that was bad.

Many many many years ago, I heard someone refer to lines as hairlines when the line has no thickness value associated with it.  So no matter how much you zoom in or out the line still appear as thin as a hair.

Wow how can I remember something like that from 20 some years ago but cant remember where I set my keys 20 minutes ago?!

Glenn Schroeder

For the hairline question, I don't believe that SW has a setting called hairline.  I don't know if it will help, but when you have your drawing open you can go to Tools > Options > System Options > Line Font.  If you click on the drop-down arrow under "Thickness" there is a list of stock line weights, and "Custom Size" is at the bottom of the list.  If you click that you can set whatever thickness you want. 

Chris Challinor

Do your drawing in SolidWorks, then save the drawing as "AI" or a "DWG" or you could make the part and save as "DXF" . Then open (import) that in Corel......then change all your lines to "hairline" in Corel......sorry SolidWorks has no hairline setting.

You may get some jumping with your laser from poor vector translation, clean up the lines in Corel before you output the files to your laser.