9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2012 3:09 PM by Andrew Kronquist

Exporting DXF while model open

Andrew Kronquist

I was trying to save a part as a dxf and dwf just now, and got a warning that I couldn't becasue the part is already open. I have no part.dwg or part.dxf open, so why do I have to close my assembly in order to export one of the parts as a dwg or dxf so the machine shop can use it?

• Re: Exporting DXF while model open
          Bjorn Hulman

Andrew, your issue as explained is a little confusing. Are you being told the .dxf is already open? Does the filename already exist? If you have windows explorer open to the folder you are saving to this may also cause issues in some circumstances. Where are you trying to save the dxf from?

Andrew Kronquist

It says the part is open, not the dxf or dwg since they didn't exist yet. All I can assume is that SolidWorks saves the .sldprt at the same time as the dxf? Since I was working on the model when the request came in for the dxf, I thought it would be easy to open that part in a new window, and just save it as dxf, but it seems I have to stop what I'm doing, close my model and drawing, then  save the part, and re-open everything back up again.

Kelvin Lamport

Andrew,

I'm using SW12-SP5 and I have no problem opening an assy, opening a part from that assy, and saving as DXF & DWG.

What SW version & SP are you running?

Does this happen with all parts & assys?

Have you tried restarting SW and/or the computer?

Andrew Kronquist

Kevin, since you replied I tried it again, and it doesn't give me the warning, but there's a clue now. This might be hard to explain though. The part is from a subassembly, and I'm trying to save the part as the assembly name.dwg (or dxf), and that doesn't work. An example is an assembly made of part1, part2, and part3. Part1 is also the assembly name, and part2 is what I wanted to save as part1.dwg because everyone is referring to this as part1. It's a graphic overlay on an aluminum plate (my target part for dxf conversion), and an adhesive part. I basically tried to save my aluminum part (part2) as the overlay part (part1) as a dxf. Can't do that I guess. SW probably thinks I want to rename the part as the sldprt, too, which I guess makes sense as to why it says it's open, because it is open as the part1 of the assembly.