AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using a heat radiation source to model sound propagation

Question asked by Eelco Brun on Nov 30, 2012
Latest reply on Nov 30, 2012 by Eelco Brun

I have a rather simple situation in which there is a sound source in a chamber with 2 openings.

And I would like to see how adaptations to the chamber size effect the sound coming out.

To my surprise flow simulations does not have a sound function..

SO I was wondering if it might not be possible to adapt a heat radiation source model, to model the effects of sound.

As heat reacts quite similar to sound (travels in waves, reflects/absorps)

I could perhaps, adapt the environment and materials to fit this situation in an external analysis?

As it pertains only to heat, I could easily create new materials which mirror the reflectivity/absorption rates of the materials from heat to sound.

I am however having trouble with adjusting the environment (gas-air) to reflect the decay rate of sound propagation of 0,159 dB/m.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? or give their 2-cents about if and how this is going to work?

(I am aware that I will not be able to factor in all the effects of sound, diffraction should translate to heat, I think..

Interference (constructive of destructive) will propably not be calculated, or am I wrong to assume that?.)

The situation is mainly about air born sound waves, contact sound will be more/too difficult to simulate.)

Outcomes