5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2012 9:06 PM by Joe Gundel

Angular Dimensions

Joe Gundel

How do you get a specific side of an angle?

I have two lines that should be 50° apart but Solidworks Smart Dimension will only give me the 330° dimension. This works but looks stupid on a drawing.

I am using SW 2011 x64 SP 5. I am sketching in a 3DSketch in a top level assembly and I import the dimensions I am creating into the drawing when I am done so I want it to look right the first time I do it.

dimensions.jpg

I want both dimensions to be 50°

Thanks

• Re: Angular Dimensions
          Jeremy Feist

I don't know what to say - it worked for me (2012 sp 3)

Capture.PNG

Justin Strempke

Joe,

It has to do with where you click to create the dimension.  Once you do, it locks the measured direction.  In you case, I got the same results when I clicked just to the left of the vertical line.  When I redid the dimension and clicked between the measured lines (where the dim is in Jeremy's post), I got the internal dim.  There were other spots to click where it threw out a 130 deg dim as well.  Each was then fixed to it's relative measurement after clicking to place.

Joe Gundel

Thanks for the replys,

I can create all of the other dimensions, even the 50° one oppisite the dimension I want by clicking in other locations. My problem is, there is no where I can just click to insert a 50° dimension between the lines like I want. I can even recreate what Jeremy did above. I am hoping there is a way I can force the dimension to where I want because it won't create it automatically for me for some strange reason. This appears to be entirely specific to this magical sketch.

Justin Strempke

So you can make a new sketch and it dimensions just fine?  Huh...  I don't if 2011 is much different, but 2012 has the option to 'lock' the dimension orientation before you set it (after you select you two entities) by the RMB...  

Have you tried just changing the 310 dim to 50?  I had luck when doing if from the Dimension tab (ONLY if I single LMB on the dim, then changed Primary Value to 50, ENTER,... while standing on my head holding a toothbrush and making cow sounds).

Joe Gundel

The trick was to lock the dimension in where I wanted it then enter the 50 in for the dimension value and then place the dimension. It doesn't show up until you click but it does the trick. A strange workaround for an even stranger problem (really it was the cow sounds that did it).

Thanks Justin