9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2012 8:08 PM by John Burrill

Troubles importing .dwg or .dxf files

Gabriel Nedelcu

Hi, I have a file sent from a client both formats .dwg and .dxf

I tried to import these files many times in all possible configurations in the Options window but without to succed to open really on of them in 3D surface format. Can anybody help please? What do I do wrong or what should I do to open this file?

• Re: Troubles importing .dwg or .dxf files
          Anna Wood

There is likely no surface data in the file.  Just wireframe data.

I did a File > Open > DXF > Import to a new part as > 3D Curves or Model.  It imports as 3D curves with millimeter units.

You will need to generate your own surfaces from the curves.

Cheers,

Anna

Gabriel Nedelcu

Thank you Anna for taking the time to help. I got before the same wire 3D model as you and I tryed to create surfaces but it was not much use of it: endless time uploading a small inbetween surface and disturbed model with lots of zizag wireing and all kind of just flat surfaces inbetween the initial wireing...

Cheers

Gabriel

John Burrill

You can't import it directly into Solidworks as a 3D surface because it doesn't contain any AutoCAD surface entities.  It's looks like it's  elevation contours made from 3D polylines and points.  I'm assuming that this came out of EaglePoint or GeoPak or something. 

If you want to bring in surface data then the person that supplied you with this file will need to create a tin using 3Dfaces or a polyface mesh.  Note that there's a fixed number of triangles that a polyface mesh can contain in AutoCAD.  That's one of the reasons they stopped using them around the time Autodesk came out with Civil 3D.  Your best bet is to have them export the TIN (land surface) as an STL file which you can import as selectable geometry.

Your land boundary is small enough to bring into Soildworks, but unless you're laying out an oil refinery, your land form is going to make whatever your working on really small when you zoom out.  More importantly, thecorners of your boundary appear to be located in a UTM NAD83 coordinate system which means you're drawing boundary coordinates start at X = 390288.5658 Y = 755633.461-which is far outside of Solidworks 1000M cube space.  You'll need to relocate the landform to the origin.

Final bit of advice.  Solidworks isn't equipped for land development tasks or roadway layout and it's not even a really good architectural package.  that being said, if you're doing prefab or structural work, your best bet is to export the Solidworks model to AutoCAD and then use Civil 3D or GeoPak or something to to grade the site upto the building. If you're looking to put together a rendering of your project on a site, then use Max or Maya or Blender or something.