8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2012 10:34 AM by Wayne Bird

Change angular dimension

Wayne Bird

Is there a way to change this angular dimension so it would be off of the horizontial rather than the vertical?  I know I can sketch a horizontal line then dimension off of that line, but I would rather not do that.  Thanks for your help.

2012-11-27_152742.jpg

• Re: Change angular dimension
          Jeremy Feist

the dimension needs somthing to exist at both ends of it. how do you have it dimensioned in the part? have you tried to insert that dim from the model items?

Wayne Bird

Importing dims doesn't give what I need.  The cut is driven off of a plane at the given angle.  Don't ask why it was done this way, I have no idea.  Pro/E gives you the ability to make a line while you're creating the dimension so the line is not a separate feature than the dimension.  Does Solidworks give this ability, or does it have to be a separate feature?

Anna Wood

Make sure the view has focus in the drawing and sketch the horizonatal witness line you need in the view.  You can constrain the witness line in drawing views just like sketching in SolidWorks.  Select the added witness line when you create the dimesion.

Cheers,

Anna

Wayne Bird

Anna, is this different than what I stated above of what I didn't want to do?  I'm sorry if I'm being dense here, I'm just not understanding.  One thing I don't like about sketching the horiz line is I don't know how to constrain it to the corner and still have a gap like a witness line should.  Does that make sense?  Again, thanks for your help!!

Glenn Schroeder

Wayne,

Welcome to the forum.

Wayne Bird wrote:

One thing I don't like about sketching the horiz line is I don't know how to constrain it to the corner and still have a gap like a witness line should.  Does that make sense?

Yes, it makes sense.  You can sketch a horizontal line and make the line coincident with the corner without having an end point of the line coincident with the corner.  You could drag the endpoint of the line to create the desired gap.  You could also place the sketched line in a layer that's turned off if you don't want it to show.

If you just absolutely don't want to sketch a horizontal line, then the best thing I can think of would be to open your model and create a horizontal plane at the corner.  Then you can go back to the drawing and dimension between the angled line and the plane.

John Burrill

Wayne, Solidworks is always going to require some geometry to make an angular dimension.  Fortunately, that geometry doesn't neccesarily have to be in the drawing.  I've attached a video that demonstrates how to dimension to use model reference geometry (a plane in this case) to attach dimensions.  You can then hide the geometry in the drawing view and drag the witness line to the vertex...almost

Anna Wood

Wayne,

Sorry I missed that.....

What I suggested is what works easily in SolidWorks.  I do this all the time.

Somewhere you are going to need to create the geometry.  Whether it is what I suggested or what John showed.

Unfortunately, there is not the same functionality as you are used to in ProE.

FWIW,

Anna

Wayne Bird

Thank you guys and gal for all your help!  These are great solutions.  I'm going to start another thread (question) on how to use one dimension value in another dimension.  Please watch out for this one, I can use your help:)