1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 27, 2012 4:52 PM by Kevin Corr

Stress Near a Bolted Connector

Nate Sieger

I will be reviewing the stresses in a member that is bolted, which forces me to take into account the compressive stress applied by the bolt. I see that the bolted connector states the following warning:

"Reported stress in the 1-diameter vicinity of the bolt will usually be higher than the actual stress."

Is that to say that the stress in the applied region of the bolted connector (where the rigid links tie to) should be regarded as inaccurate? If so, what is a good way to go about reviewing the member stress resulting from the combination of clamping force and body loads?

Thank you.

• Re: Stress Near a Bolted Connector
          Kevin Corr

My interpretation of the bolt connector is that it is not intended for the review of the stress from the bolt on the bolted components, but rather review of the bolt itself.  One possibility is to have a pair of studies, one with the connector and one that substitutes the full bolt model with loads from the first study(by user input). Use the connector study to specify bolt size and preload, then view the axial, shear and moment for the bolt. Then set up loads for these axial, shear and moment in the study with the full bolt model. Immediately it looks like a lot of processing time to model the bolted joint in 3D using no-penetration contact. So no doubt I'd be looking out for an alternative algorithm that ran faster. Possibly use the 2D study if the geometry, boundary conditions and displacements can be assumed axi-symmetric.