1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 22, 2012 6:01 AM by Karl R. Pettersen

Custom view Excel design table slows down zoom

Karl R. Pettersen

Hi

We've just tried to implement a design table from a part file that drives most of the system. Instead of re-typing everything in it into a regular table, we setup a custom view in the design table that is presented in the drawing. To do this, we put a view of the part outside the drawing area in order to access its design table, which is then shown on the assembly drawing.

However, this proves painful to work with. We can no longer zoom into the drawing to pick exactly the edges we want for dimensioning. It doesn't matter if the Excel is in view or not, as long as it is present on the drawing it can take like 5-10 seconds per zoom state change (mouse wheel scroller) when you're zoomed in.

What would be a good workaround for this, other than reverting back to actual typing in the data a second time? Are there some tricks within Excel itself to speed up the zooming?

• Re: Custom view Excel design table slows down zoom
          Karl R. Pettersen

Some findings after a bit of experimenting:

* Zooming way in to the problematic table revealed its TT font contents to be fully vectorized with no quality degradation whatsoever. This seems to be the major contributing factor to the problem.

* Using bitmapped fonts in the table helped, but of course degraded visuals and printing due lack of antialiasing. This lack of quality might be acceptable to some and not for others.

* Suddely for new projects the table, using TT fonts, now render with antialiased bitmapped letters that degrades fully zoomed, but quality is   fully adequate compared to bitmapped fonts.

I have looked in both Excel and in Solidworks, but I haven't found any obvious settings that could influence this. So even if the problem have resolved itself, I'm still a bit curious to how that happened, for future problems of this kind.