7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2012 11:22 PM by Anna Wood

Configuring New  System for Solidworks...?

Maurice Johnson

Hello,    We just purchased a new system to run Solidworks. We were execpting it to perform better in the Benchmark Tests.

Question: Is there any configuration needed in the computer and/or Soldiworks to help boost perofrmance?

Any help is greratly appreachated.

If you wish to contact me dircectly please use the following emai:  barryw@smithsystem.com

Bench Mark Stats:

Name:ScottC
      Solidworks:2012:4.0: x64
      OS:Microsoft Windows 7 Professional:Service Pack 1:x64
      Computer:Supermicro:X9DAi
      CPU:Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz [Intel64 Family 6 Model 45 Stepping 7] (12 processors)
      RealView:176.2
      Graphics:NVIDIA Quadro 4000
      Ram:32744
      Hard Disk:1000:SCSI

SolidWorks Preformance Test (sec) (overall= cpu + Graphics + I/O)

Overall=337.6 Cpu= 138.4 Graphics=74.2 I/O=125.0
      Render=40.8

Computer Stats:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional  x64

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

System Manufacturer Supermicro

System Model X9DAi

2 Processors

Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

2 Video cards

NVIDIA Quadro 4000

NVIDIA Quadro 4000

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 32.0 GB

Available Physical Memory 28.9 GB

Total Virtual Memory 64.0 GB

Available Virtual Memory 60.7 GB

Page File Space 32.0 GB

---- End of Question ---

• Re: Configuring New  System for Solidworks...?
          Tony Hayes

I am not a fan of this benchmark test. Here is what I just seen. When compared my new system to my old system it does not make sence. Started both test at the same time. New computer was finished first but the results said the old computer was faster. Here are the specs for each computer:

New computer:

Dell Precision T3600

Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHZ

256 GB Solid State Hard Drive

32 GB 1600 mhz RAM

2.5 GB GDDR5 NVidia Qaudro 5000

Windows 7 64bit

Old computer:

Dell Precision T3500

Xeon W3530 2.8 GHZ

300 GB non-solid state hard drive

12 GB 1600 mhz RAM

1 GB GDDR3 NVidia Qaudro 3800

Windows 7 64bit

You would think the new system would have a pretty fast numbers but when I compare them they are not close to systems that not as good.

Anna Wood

What are the specs of the system you had previously?

Define what better performance you were expecting?  What problems were you having with the old system?

What do you do with SolidWorks?  Any rendering or FEA?  What type of models are you creating?  Are they feature rich?  Are you building large assemblies?

Why two video cards?

Since we have no idea what you do with SolidWorks and what your performance expectations are it will be impossible to know if you have a system that will give you the better performance you desire.

Cheers,

Anna

Tony Hayes

For me Anna it is more about surprised that the numbers for the new system was not as good as I thought they should have been. My overall time for the new system was 433 secs. but my old system was 387 secs. but you can see the specs for the 2 systems. I only do progressive die designs with no rendering or FEA. My system runs great for what I do but was exspecting a better time on the Solid Perferance Test.

Anna Wood

The SolidWorks benchmark is pretty much useless, sorry to say....  It reports results that do not jive with reality.

Are you experiancing improvement in your real world day to day work with the new system?  I am sure you are.  That is what really counts.

Cheers,

Anna

Tony Hayes

I agree with you and the reports results do not jive with reality, my first post I was trying to say that to Maurice. But if there are settings to change to run faster I have ears. As far as the 2 systems setting side by side you can clearly tell the new system is better. That is way I agree with you that is useless because it says the older is quicker.

I think you are the on that posted the punch holder on here a long time ago for comparsion of systems I have that and I use that to compare systems here. The old system has a rebuild time of 87 secs. and the new one as a rebuild time of 41 secs.