1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 21, 2012 9:14 AM by Charles Culp

trace an imported file and surface imported file.

Joe Brooks

I have a round tube skeleton frame i have imported into SolidWorks.  I have 3 seperate files to use as imports from my client, DXF, IGES, and STEP.  I have imported all 3 and this perticular skeleton structure has nothing to really grab onto to create sketches i need for surfacing.  basically i need to wrap this skeleton in a fabric skin, so i need surfaces on it to flatten and create the fabric wrap.

Is there an easy method to trace/create the splines or curves i need to surface this skeleton? 

is there maybe an auto trace style of a feature i could use? 

this structure has compound curves to it.  it is not a planar structure as you can see from the images.  i have also attached the original supplied IGES file that i used to import.  I made a SolidWorks part file out of this already, but it is too big to attach.  any help would be greatly appreciated!  thanks!

front view.jpgside view.jpgplan view.jpgiso view.jpg

• Re: trace an imported file and surface imported file.
          Charles Culp

You say you need to skin this frame, how accurate does it need to be?

Joe Brooks wrote:

I have imported all 3 and this perticular skeleton structure has nothing to really grab onto to create sketches i need for surfacing. 

I don't understand this statement. I imported your IGES file, and it came in as a long list of 3D Sketches, which by definition are the points you could grab on to so you could create a sketch. What else are you looking for?