7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2012 2:06 PM by Demitri Duwadi

Making a video

Demitri Duwadi

Hello all,

I'm making a video and I have the camera move to one specific part. I wanted to know if it was possible to add text somehow or what the best way to having text be there when the camera moves in the video to describe the part it's looking at. Any tips, suggestions on what looks nice would be nice as this will be for a project presentation.

• Re: Making a video
          Demitri Duwadi

Also just kind of small, how do I go about adding a pause inbetween camera movements? I want to put a short pause inbetween the camera moving so people can read the text.

Jeff Holliday

I normally use SWorks to create the "video" (moving parts) and then import that file into an actual video production software. There are some free ones (Windows Movie Maker, etc). Transitions and text are much better in that type of software. I have not found a way to add the text in the SWorks video.

Demitri Duwadi

I was actually considering that, appreciate the reply. Do you know how to adjust how fast things fade and re-appear when you hide / un-hide them to? In my case I have multipul buildings and I'm hiding them all except for the one being shown, then moving onto the next and making it appear / hiding the previous one.

Adrian Williams

Hi Demitri, I wondered how you were getting along with this.

Try VirtualDub, or Handbrake.

Both are free from the net.

I have had script popping up in video the same way as you are hiding and showing your buildings, a little rough but OK.

Place a key on the camera travel where you want the pause.

Zoom right in close on the timescale, copy the key and paste it right next to the original.

Drag the second key away from the original to create the gap/pause.

If you just copy and paste the key with a big gap, the view can jump, giving a bad result.

To change the way to change the fade, right mouse click and you should have the same as below.Fullscreen capture 20112012 172110.jpg

Demitri Duwadi

Thanks once again for the reply, Adrian. I figured out the pause in settings, I've only ever messed with some basic animation programs, so it's really interesting to see how Solidworks' set up. So far the video is coming along well, haven't run into any major problems yet, I'm going to have to add some extra things into the models which will delay the video, but I'm very excited about finishing it up and will post it once I'm done.

One of my concerns is, when I record, I have to go into the camera view mode as it moves through the actual scenes to have it actually record from the view of the camera. I was hoping to be able render the video via photoview, is there anything I should know before using a huge chunk of time to render it? Do I have to do anything like with recording a regular video?

Adrian Williams

The only thing I would suggest is to try a few low resolution sample renders of places along the track just to see what the finished video should look like. There may be some finishes (appearences-textures) on some objects that behave in a different way to that which you expect. Just in case you don't know, to turn camera view on in the model rather than the motion study -

Fullscreen capture 20112012 180815.bmp.jpgAdjust the distance along the path in the mate settings. Then run the render.

Have fun. I am finishing for the day now...

Adrian.