7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2012 11:56 AM by John Smith

Meshing to Run

John Smith

I have Solidworks 2010 64 bit on win 7 @ 40gb of ram and 16core CPU @ 3.0 ghz each, solid state HD, quadro 4000... its a nice computer...

So i did the meshing for a linear static problem - it took about 15-20 minutes to solve..

then i hit run. nothing is happening except that soldiworks is using one full CPU core. for the last 30 mintues.

Is there anything i can do? i know meshing is not multithreaded but what is this run bottleneck...?

• Re: Meshing to Run
          Dave Laban

The Iterative solver will only use one thread to solve.  The Sparse solver will use everything, but is not quicker in all circumstances - it depends on the model size as to how long it takes for it to set up the matrices to solve.

By "nothing" happening, are you not even seeing the tumbling white-on-green arrows in the study tab in the motion manager?  Or is this going just without the full pop-up Solver Status window?

John Smith

Thanks Dave!

no there was no popup window or the arrows on the tab for at least 40 minutes - left it overnight only to get a message "contact elements out of range" aaaagh

anyhow i think it has something to with "no pentration"

Dave Laban

Unusual for absolutely nothing to happen in my experience!  Skipped over SW2010 so no idea what that was like as a release. 

That message sounds like it isn't happy with the mesh somewhere, possibly No Penetration faces being quite a way from each other at the start of the analysis?

John Smith

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your help.

That message went away but i have another problem. My study failed. Shut down solidworks and its not telling me why... Unreal..

does the image attached tell you anything? Untitled111.png

John Smith

ok here's one more shot... this time i have been waiting for the run window for well over an hour.

where is the bottleneck...? Untitled.png

Dave Laban

I think the issue may just be that you're trying to run what seems like an enormous model. 14 million degrees of freedom is pretty massive.

Did you manually tell it to use the Sparse solver or did SW choose it by itself?  As it may not be the best solver for this particular study.  A matrix large enough to handle that many DOF is certainly going to make most PCs stop and think.

As for the network I/O message, no idea.  It's not trying to read/write the results file to somewhere on the network is it?  One of my colleagues has had that problem before, files that were on the network did not change the results location after they had been moved to a local drive.

John Smith

Thank you Dave... The study is coming along better... yes that was me that told it to use direct sparse but in the meantime i read somewhere that that method is only good for up to 150000 DOF. It doesnt help that 95% of this whole thing is still run on a single core... i am now 13 hours into it... Thanks for all your help!

Untitled3.png