14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2012 2:57 AM by Sally Hoo

When do new versions get created?

Sally Hoo

I'm trying to figure out why some parts keep having new versions created when checking out and checking right back in.  Sometimes, an undo checkout occurs (as I would expect it to with no changes to the file), but sometimes a new version gets created and I'm not sure what's causing PDM to think a new version should be created.

If a referencing parent file changes versions, would that cause a version change to the child part?  I tried testing this out specifically and the answer was a no, but that's the only reason why I can think of for why the new versions to my real parts are getting created.

• Re: When do new versions get created?
          Jeremy Feist

why are you checking out files you are not changing?

if you open the files and the get rebuilt, the are flagged as changed - even if no change has been made. so EPDM will save the new version when you check it in.

Sally Hoo

This is for a brand new rollout of PDM at my company.  I've imported a bunch of legacy files and did a lot of clean up to the properties, and then was planning on updating the parent assemblies (to get them using the latest versions of the cleaned up child parts).  However, even after checking out and checking in all the files, I've noticed that some of the child parts keep changing versions, thus requiring me to re-update the parent assemblies.

I have not been opening any of the files I checked out.  Only checking out and checking back in.

Jeff Sweeney

Are you doing anything to the datacards? A datacard change would require a version bump.

Sally Hoo

Nope, not changing the data cards.  I even did a file compare both in PDM and SolidWorks and both say the different versions of the file are identical.

Jeremy Feist

ok - so walk us through an example of what you do to a file between checking it out and chacking it back in that creates an unwanted version.

Sally Hoo

I have multiple folders of parts and assemblies.  I checked out all the files in the first folder.  Without changing anything in the data card or the file itself, I checked the files back in.  The check-in dialog box showed that every single part being checked was going to get a new version.  I continued with the check-in, creating the first set of unwanted versions.  Then I went to the next folder and did the same exact thing, again creating more unwanted versions in the process.  This would make sense to me if each successive folder had parent assemblies referencing child parts in the previous folder, but that is not the case.

In any case, when I was done with all of the folders yesterday, I re-checked out everything and attempted to check-in again.  This time, I saw that no new versions were being created.  That was yesterday.  This morning, I moved some parts from one folder to another.  That was the only thing that changed between yesterday and now.  However, when I re-checked out all the files in the folders I updated yesterday and attempted to check in, once again, I'm seeing that PDM wants to create new versions.  Should moving parts in the folder structure cause a new version to be created?  I tried testing this out explicitly, and the answer I'm seeing is no.

Greg Rupp

Hi Sally, I can think of maybe 3 scenarios.

1) You are opening the file with a newer version of solidworks. For example the files were last saved in 2011 and you are using solidworks 2012. 

2) You are opening a files that are rebuilding or resolving external references.

3) along the same lines as #2, if the files are drawings that are linking to custom properies of the assembly/part inside it and that data has changed since the drawing was last saved, the drawing will regenerate and update that data.

Sally Hoo

Hi Greg, in all three of your scenarios, would I need to actually be opening the files between check in and check out in order for those updates to occur?  Because I haven't been opening any of the files.

Greg Rupp

for option 1) no. If you upgrade solidworks, everytime you open a file that is of an older format, it will automatically convert it to the current solidworks version. So for example, if you migrated in files to the vault that were of an older format, the next time the user opens the file with solidworks, it will convert it. Chances are you will be prompted to save a "read-only" file. If no one ever says yes to this... it will always ask you.

for option 2) i don't think so, but this may this depends on your settings. When a file is opened, one of the first things it does it try to find it's references. Regardless of check in our check out. Even changing printer settings will trigger the file as changed.

for option 3)  like option 2, when you open a drawing it will make sure that everything is correct with it's views and references. If it finds any differences, it will flag the file as changed and request that you save changes.

Sally Hoo

Ok, I think option 1 may have been what happened to me.  We definitely have a lot of files built from the SW 2007 version.  What I did was do a check out/check in for all the folders I knew were sub-parts first, and then did a check out/check in for all of the folders I knew were mostly higher level assemblies.  However, I noticed today that some of the sub-part folders still had parts that were checked out.  So it must have been that when I was working with some of the higher-level assemblies, some parts were unknowingly getting saved (and I wouldn't get a read-only prompt if the sub-parts were checked out).

Thanks, Greg.