5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2012 11:46 PM by Dan Singh

IS SIMPLE CAR CRASH SIMULATION IS POSSIBLE OR NOT

Dan Singh

Actually i am working on a project on car crash test and i just want to know whether it is possible or not.

i just want to know the effect of collision on vehicle chasis

if it is possible, help me

thanks in advance for help

welcome to any tips

• Re: IS SIMPLE CAR CRASH SIMULATION IS POSSIBLE OR NOT
          Susheel W

Hi Dan,

Can you specify you want to carry crash test on whole car model or just on chasis

B'coz

When considering only chasis the loads applied during crash point are to be calculated from the all parts of car

and on contradictory when you perform a car model for crash the loads are transfered remotely with each part connecting to chasis

also the specimen on which the car is crashed has its unique effect as if you try to crash car on beam instead of wall or on rod they will have respective displacements and fatigue results

even the direction and degree of freedom and speed(Velocity/Acceleration) is also supposed to take in account.

combine effect of motion study and simulation is needed

Hope this will help you to go with clear idea for simulating car crash  let me know if it works

Mohammad Darabseh

crash simulation is not possible with SolidWorks according to my knowledge

Justin Strempke

Dan,

Vechile (and most any) crash scenario is extremely difficult to simulate, given all the deformations, collision/elastic propteries, and loads involved.  You can do a drop-test on the frame in SW, but that's about as far as you could go without spending a month setting up the model and another month letting it solve non-linearly!  Even then it takes some serious software to allow part breakage (self-shear and detachment from assembly) if you want to get detailed.  For just the chassis/frame though (no suspension/body/components, you could set up a drop test and just calculate you angle and speed of the impact with decent results I would think.

Justin

Mike Pogue

Dan,

LS-DYNA is well regarded for its crash simulation. This type of thing requires sophisticated knowlege of finite element analysis--there is no user-friendly way to do what you are asking. Solidworks Simulation is geared to the designer, not high end analysis.

Dan Singh

I tried various method but unable to get the desired result.

Mike i am agree with you.

thanks to all