3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2012 2:03 PM by Rolf Anderson

Unable to add connectors to surface loft

Rolf Anderson

I have a drawing with several surface lofts. I need to add some connectors to control the way the lofts are generated. With some of the lofts I can right-click on one of the profiles and select Add Connector from the menu and everything is fine. But with some other lofts I right-click on one of the profiles and the menu shows me Show All Connectors, Hide All Connectors, and Reset Connectors. But there is no Add Connector in the menu. I cannot figure out how to add connectors to these lofts. Some lofts behave properly, and some lofts will not let me add any new connectors. I am at the end of my rope, and cannot figure out what might be wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

• Re: Unable to add connectors to surface loft
          Jeremy Feist

on the problem ones, have you shown all of the connectors? can you edit these then to get your desired result?

Rolf Anderson

I figured out the answer to this one. For reasons having to do with surface offseting of surfaces with too small a radius of curvature, I have two sets of sketches for the profile curves. One set of profile curves is edited here and there to have a larger radius of curvature, but the profile sketches are identical everyplace the radius of curvature was large enough. I had both sets of profile sketches visible. I assumed that, since I was in the process of editing the surface loft, that Solidworks would be smart enough to prefer selecting the sketches that were actually being used for the profiles of the loft I was editing. Solidworks was not that smart. It was selecting the wrong sketch (the one not being uses as a profile for the loft). I had to hide the sketches not being used by the loft. Then all was well, and I could add connectors to my loft.

Charles Culp

You can only add connectors in one of the directions (along the path, not along the guide curves). Perhaps that is the problem. In that case (and pretty much every other case as well), it is better to use boundary surface, which has the same functionality as loft, but it works in both directions with equal control.