3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2012 2:08 PM by George Mitchell

Import a Solidworks 2012 Drawing in to 3dvia composer

George Mitchell

I am a new user of 3dvia composer.

Is it possible to import a Solidworks 2012 drawing in to 3dvia composer and also import a Solidworks 2012 drawing bringing in the different sheets and BOM data genorated in solidworks?

• Re: Import a Solidworks 2012 Drawing in to 3dvia composer
          Derek Parks

I have been using 3DVIA  Composer for a little over a year so not an expert but as far as I know you can only import 3D media into Composer. As far as your BOM you can reproduce it in Composer fairly simply since Composer works with Solidworks metadata. When in Composer click on the BOM workshop and after creating it you can play with the properties on what meta data you want brought in from Solidworks. There are a lot of options so may take some tweaking to get it right for what you need but once set it is a very good tool. I think it works a lot nicer and a lot easier to edit balloons and such in Composer than Solidworks. Hope this helps you some and enjoy Composer it has been one of the best investments I have used in awhile.

John Matrishon

agree with Derek.  Drawings and a Publishing package don't mix directly.   Composer will take in an exploded view of your model, but it creates it as view orientation.  Once you get using it, you'll understand.  It will go quicker than you created dwgs in SolidWorks.  You need to think of Composer as the tool creating the images and animations, not the final product.  Generally, you'll be putting the images into some other program for distribution as a PDF or SVG, web content, Word, Powerpoint, etc.

If you're a CAD guy, it will take some time to unplug your CAD brain, and put in a Publishing brain, but once you get passed that, it's all gravy!!

George Mitchell

Cheers guys, your advice has been most helpful!