7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2012 7:19 AM by Deepak Gupta

3D pdf PLUS animation

Kris Froehlich

Im working on a website for my offroad products. I believe the customers will benifit greatly from an interactive 3d model of the parts. So I researched how to create a 3d PDF. This is a really awesome feature and more then what most companies offer. But now I would also like to add an animation to the saved Portable Adobe Document. Tried add the animation in Solidworks then saving the file and of course the animation didnt save with it. So how do you do it?  Its got to be possible. Theres a play/pause animation button in the 3d PDF reader that opens the file...

• Re: 3D pdf PLUS animation
          Derek Parks

I am not sure if this is directly possible as a Solidworks export but would be interested also in this process. That being said I currently add the multimedia to the PDF by using Acrobat Pro. After the PDF is exported you can go to the multimedia part of Pro and add your video or other media. This may be a way you could do it if it isn't possible through Solidworks. Only draw back is it makes for huge file sizes which leaves it unable to be emailed but for hosting on web it may be acceptable.

Deepak Gupta

You can save animation within an e-drawing file. This can be much better as the customer can also measure the files in e-drawing.

Kris Froehlich

You can also measure the parts in a 3D PDF. I bet it isn't as easy or accurate though. I really don't know too much about eDrawings. Can I block dimensions on products I Don't want to share the dimensions of?  Also the main reason I wanted to use a PDF is because you can directly embed the file online. I didn't want my customers to have to download something. Is that possible with eDrawings?  Check out what I'm working with here. www.froehlichsuspension.com

Bjorn Hulman

We've been playing with doing the same thing. So far we'vee got to installing an OBJ exporter in SW, open in Blender, ensure the texture/materials are mapped correctly, lighting is correct, export as Collada (.dae)

Conclusion so far: it works ok, but it's not as good as it could/should be.

Observation: other websites such as http://www.htc.com/uk/ use a series of renders with the animation controlled in real-time. Technically not as entertaining, but the end result looks much better.