5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2012 12:27 PM by Wayne Schafer

Trouble with Assemblies

Daniel Willis

Hi everyone.  My name is Ben and I am new to the forum.  I am having some difficulties with solidworks 2012 (win 7, 64).  I have about 6 parts that I have created an assembly with.  The problem is, when I re-open the assembly, it is blank because it "cannot locate part files".  I have searched the forum and read into a few posts...One solution is to open all the part files first, then open the assembly.  This works, however, it is time consuming  and I am going to be adding more parts and also some routing, so I was looking for a more thorough solution.  It also freezes a lot using this process.  My part files are saved on a network, because we are not allowed to write to the hard drive.  Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thank You

• Re: Trouble with Assemblies
          Glenn Schroeder

Daniel,

Welcome to the forum.  The cannot locate part files error message means just that.  The most common cause is when part or sub-assembly files are moved or re-named after being used in an assembly.  I don't know if that's the case in your situation.

Adrian Williams

Hi  Danial,

Further to Glenn's comment. If you have moved or renamed the part files, when the pop up appears it asks if you would like to find the parts yourself.

Once you navigate to the new part file location, SWKs remembers this, so you should have no further problems.

Assuming you're not using a work group PDM system.

When you create new parts, save them directly to the server, then build the assembly so the references will be correct from the start.

Daniel Willis

Thank you very much guys.  Adrian, when you said "save directly to the server" that made me think about something.  The problem was with how I opened the file.  For example, if I opened solid works and tried to open the assembly I would get the errors I described above.  If I went to the folder, for example: "Libraries\Documents\Solid Edge\Assembly" and tried to open the assembly, the same problem occured.  However, if I went to the server and then navigated to the folder, such as: "Computer\ servername\documents\Solid Edge\Assembly" then the asssembly opened perfectly.  Why this happens I do not know, but I guess it has something to do with the server.  If my explanation isn't clear, let me know.  I hope this helps anybody else that has a similair issue.  Thanks Again!!

Adrian Williams

No problem Ben, that's why the forums exist.

I'm pretty sure I know what you mean.

I stil think you should try to open the files as I said though and set the references otherwise SWKs can open multiple copies of the program if you double click to open the file from a server.

It could save you a lot of time in the future.

Don't forget to mark replies as correctly answered as it helps others in the same situation...

Wayne Schafer

Just a note.  It may be best to use Solidworks Explorer if you want to move files or rename files.  That way it will know where to look for those files when you open your assemblies.