36 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2013 6:17 PM by Ivan Loncar

Camera randomly rotates

Demitri Duwadi

Hello everyone,

I made an spline in my drawing for a camera to follow along and set its aimed target at the center of my assembly. It goes through the spline but it randomly does a 180 about half way through for 1-5 seconds then finishes it and goes back to normal. The first time I did it I never had a problem, but wasn't able to save beforehand, now that I've re-done it, I have this problem. Here's a screen shot of the camera's settings, I didn't put any kind of rotation or anything on it.
      (http://puu.sh/1pVsx)

• Re: Camera randomly rotates
          Adrian Williams

Hi Demitri,

Try making the leading edge of the camera sled parallel to a plane to stop the roll.

It worked for me.

Adrian.

Demitri Duwadi

Adrian, I'm not exactly sure how I would go about doing that...

Also, I'm having a problem where every time I go into motion study to set up a camera going along a spline for my assembly this message pops up. (http://puu.sh/1q9nD) and some of the sub assemblies get moved around regardless of either option I pick, yes or no...I tried fixing everything in place and that didn't seem to work either.

Adrian Williams

I think you should set your assembly just the way you want it in model and then start a new motion study. (Insert-New Motion Study)

That way you can start afresh and have less risk of the camera motion being driven by left over glitches from the previous attempts.

There must be something of your camera sled you can mate parallel to a suitable plane, construction geometry or an edge or something.

Are you using a sled?

Demitri Duwadi

I'm not quite sure...All I really set was the target point of a center-esque part of the model and set the camera position near the begining of my spline pathed I made, then dragged the time out to about 20 seconds and set the position to the end of the spline. Thanks for the idea inserting a new motion study, I'll try that now.

Adrian Williams

It helps if you model a simple camera sled. It can be any shape you like really, but something like a housebrick proportion is good. You then mate the sled to the spline you have and can control its motion easier.Then attach the camera to the sled and use the mates to drive the camera sled along the path you have created using percentage of travel along the spline etc...

I am leaving my desk now and will not be able to help any more today.

Sorry, Adrian

Demitri Duwadi

While making a new motion study solved the problem of the components in the assembly moving around, the roll on the camera is exactly the same as the last...I thought the setting "Lock camera position except when editting." was what stops things like rolling from happening?

Adrian Williams

It works better if you make a sled and lock the camera to that otherwise there is no real control of the camera itself.

I had similar trouble when I started with flythroughs and the like. I don't remember where I read about it as it was a few years ago now.

Probably in the forum, I see you' ve been looking already. The only other thing would be Youtube or some other tutorials somewhere, but as I said nothing comes to mind.

Demitri Duwadi

Does anyone know if it's just a setting or something that I accidentally turned on that cause this rotation? Because the first time I ever tried using motion study and fly by camera to make a video everything worked fine.

Demitri Duwadi

I don't know if this will help, but I took another screen shot from a top view. (http://puu.sh/1qe6u) where the top red line is, is where it first starts to do a 180, it's not immediate it's a slow roll-ish, then as it goes along that whole red line it's upside down and at the lower red strike is where it rolls out of it.

Does it have something to do with where I have the target point set, maybe?

Demitri Duwadi

It has something to do with the target point, I just don't know how to make it stop rotating the camera when it passes by it. I've been trying all different types of settings and nothing seems to work...

Demitri Duwadi

Perhaps it's something to do with the spline...is there some option I may have missed or something or accidentally turned on?

Adrian Williams

Hi Demitri,

I have just set up and run a motion study with these camera settings.

It worked well, so I'll just run through a few things I did.

The spline is in a 3D Sketch.

The longitudinal CL of the sled is mated to a point, near the ctr of the assembly in the 3D Sketch.

Camera roll is set to 0 relative to a CL in the sled. This CL is also mated parallel to the Top Plane in the model.

Pathmate a point on the front of the sled to the spline.

In the motion study, create a new key for the pathmate at the end of the runtime.

With the timebar at that point, right click on the pathmate, Edit Dimension setting the percentage to 100.

SWKs does its thing...

Under Lights, Cameras and Scene, right click on the Camera and select Camera View.

Play from start.

Demitri Duwadi

I was able to get everything except for the part where the sled actually moves along the spline. I can physically drag it and it doesn't flip the camera anymore, but I don't have the option you say when you right click the mate...I tried looking at both pathmate in the motion study and on the tree. Neither of them worked.

Ivan Loncar

Hello good people

My question about moving camera in solidworks animation is:

I create a 3D sketch for path. Then i chose this sketch for my camera. But, the problem is when camera moves from 0 - 100%, they don't follow the path tangentially. I wont to camera moved tangentially.

Take a look this video, start at 11:11 and follow the camera path

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zukeR_faabs