6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2012 9:44 AM by Nathan Rollins

sketching assumptions - some relations don't show.

Nathan Rollins

Hi all,

I think I know that my answer is "no", but I still have some hope...

Can you control or customize the assumptions and application of sketcher relations?

examples:

If I'm sketching multiple circles of the same diameter, sketcher currently does not snap to the already existing circle's diameter.  Applying the "equal to" relation would same some time - can it be done?

If I am sketching some symetric geometry and I put in a construction line for symetry, sketcher currently does not snap to symetric.  This also would save some time - can it be done?

Are there other time saving tricks that you might know of for sketching?  I saw a demo once where the presenter "rectangle / window - selected" many circles and aligned them all vertically.  I have tried this several times and cannot get it to work.  I always need to select the center points manually and then apply the relation.  What am I missing?

I would love to see a cheat sheet for tricks and tips like this. 

e.g. - hold down the shift key when you want to dimension to the tangent of an arc...  Those kick-ass time savers that are "right at my finger tips" but I don't have the knowlege.

Thanks a lot!

-Nate

• Re: sketching assumptions - some relations don't show.
          Scott Pinnow

Nathan, as for symmetric sketching have you used Dynamic Mirror? This mirrors everything you sketch, as you sketch it.

Glenn Schroeder

Nathan,

As Scott pointed out, the Dynamic Mirror function works well; I use it on almost every project and have a keyboard shortcut assigned to it.

Nathan Rollins wrote:

I saw a demo once where the presenter "rectangle / window - selected" many circles and aligned them all vertically.  I have tried this several times and cannot get it to work.

I don't know how that was done either, but when I sketch circles I frequently place construction lines first, since they will snap to horizontal or vertical, then place my circle with the center at the end of the construction line.  I prefer this to placing circles first and then setting relations.

Hadleigh Murad

Some tips that could help..

Mouse Gestures (tools - Customize -Mouse Gestures are pretty cool, they save time when sketching and if you set them up (which takes a few mins) you will be sketching, trimming, offsetting or whatever in a matter of right clicking and dragging your mouse in that direction you programmed.

I use mouse gestures all the time and can't imagine not using them.

As for your earlier post, you can right click anywhere in the command manager (top of the screen with the features/sketch tabs) and left click Quick Snap and that would allow you to easily snap to quadrants of circles as well (i needed to use that recently and when i found the quick snap toolbar, i dragged it to the bottom of my screen to use whenever it need it)

As for the selecting all circles and aligning them, not too sure on that one, as i just tried to do it, but you can't seem to add a vertical or horizontal alignment.. probably figure it out soon though.

Also another quick tip is to copy a sketch by selecting it and holding down ctrl then dragging it to make a copy... but some tips are more obvious than others..

Nathan Rollins

Hadleigh

Thanks for the post. 

I do use mouse gestures and love it.  I have "S" key assigned to one of my directions to increase that functionality.

I did try Quick Snap earlier in my SWX foray - maybe too early.  I did not "get it" and could not make it work to improve my efficiency.  So I gave up.  I will try it again to see how it might speed things up.  Thanks for that reminder.

I recently managed to start using CTRL-C for creating offset planes, etc. but have not used it much inside sketcher. Yes, obvious, but a good reminder!

Thanks again.

-Nate