3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 11:27 AM by Brian Dalton

Why do some PCs force save of ref'd components, others don't

Brian Dalton

OK, it's not very clear from the subject line, so I'll elaborate on this weird problem:

We often re-use existing files to create new files that are very similar, but need to have a different part number.  We do this by using Save As Copy in SW.

Typically, when using Save As Copy to make a separate copy of an assembly, the newly created assembly file will be issued its own P/N by EPDM. That's good.

On some workstations, however, when the assembly to be copied is opened, several of the referenced components are marked as changed (little pencil icon in EPDM add-in pane) even though they haven't been changed, haven't been opened, and aren't currently checked out.

When the Save As Copy is attempted, SW gives the message that some components have been changed, so they _must_ be saved along with the assembly file.  Since these component files are not checked out, SW tries to do a Save As on them as well, which triggers EPDM to issue a new part number.  Even if the save as of the component file is cancelled (because I never changed it and never wanted to save it) EPDM has already burned a part number which is not reclaimed.

The result is that a user wants to make a copy of the assembly model, but is forced to either make new copies of many of the component files or to cancel the component save in which case a part number is still wasted.

The truly weird thing is that this happens to some users but not to others.  I just did an experiment using my workstation to Save As Copy an assembly, and the system worked much differently.  On my computer, the component files were NOT marked as changed when I opened the assembly to be copied, I was NOT told that components must be saved, and the system did not create multiple files or burn part numbers.  This behavior on my machine makes sense to me, and it is what we want to happen.  The behavior of some other users' computers (see above) is not at all logical or what we want.

SO...

Why do some machines mark referenced components as changed when the assembly model is opened, and other machines do not?