12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 9:21 AM by Timothy Bratton

3D PDF question

Chris Michalski

okay, I'm still using 2007 and 2009.  Question on newer releases:

can you make an exploded view and save a 3D PDF that uses the exploded positions? 

3D PDFs are great for communicating with marketing guys but they'd be more useful if you could save the exploded instead of having to suppress mates and manually separating things.

• Re: 3D PDF question
          Glenn Schroeder

I just tried it with SW2012.  I made an exploded view of a simple assembly and saved it.  I saved as 3d pdf with the exploded view active, but the pdf did not show the exploded view, so it looks like the answer is no.  Saving it as a 2d pdf did show the exploded view though.

Bjorn Hulman

There was a similar question on LinkedIn a while back. One clever individual figured out you could save it as a .U3D and force it open into acrobat where you could then save as a PDF.

Still, I don't know why people are so reluctant to use eDrawings, they're the way of the future (for now).

Chris Michalski

I'm not reluctant, just so used to 3D PDFs because everyone has Adobe Reader.  And sending a .exe eDrawing file gets hijacked by email virus scanning so you have to put it in a .zip file first...  Just time management (aka "laziness")

Walter Fetsch

I like using Edrawings and for the most part, my users have stopped resisting, but there is one giant pain in the neck that it creates.  With every new release, SW changes the file format, so users have to keep their software up to date.  Not a big deal for me, but if you're dealing with users who have a hard time with the complexities of user name and password, it is not reasonable to expect them to handle their own software updates.  Most of my users are remote or travel all the time, so helping them with updates is impossible.  I understand that the SW format needs to be updated occasionally, but why should the Edrawings format change?  I seriously doubt there are new features being added and there is no sales benefit to keeping users upgrading.  I don't get it.  The regular file format changes make deploying Edrawings a lot more problematic than it should be.

Gary Garrison

What happened to the old "Presentation Studio" 3D PDF generator?  It would generate the exact type of file you are looking for.  I would much rather send a PDF than use E-Drawings.

Timothy Bratton

PDFs are nice, but they cannot compare to eDrawings.  Sure for more simplified things a simple PDF might work, but larger assemblies you might miss a view someoen wants to see and with a little over the phone communication you can help them look at what they want to look at.

Its a nice living solid model you can review in so many ways.