AnsweredAssumed Answered

Building a Bus Model with All Options Offered

Question asked by Chris Iannone on Nov 7, 2012
Latest reply on Nov 22, 2012 by Deepak Gupta

I'm sure this has been asked before but I was unable to find information on it because I'm not sure exactly what I should be searching for.  Heres my dilemma:

I'm the lead engineer at a bus manufacturing company and we are begining to build complete CAD models all of out buses.  I would like to have a complete model for every bus including all options we offer.  There are hundreds of possible combinations and my issue is I'm not sure how to set up configurations to handle all the different options.  For example, we offer four (theres more than four) light configurations, three different types of HVAC systems, and four (theres way more than four) seat configurations.  This creates almost 50 configurations. There are many other different variations on our bus, but I just want to use these three to keep things simple.  Is there a way to create an "option tree" where I can break down each option individually so I can build a model with each possible combination?  So instead of having to build all 48 configuations (using derived configurations too), is there an easy way to select which HVAC system I want, then select which type of lights, then which type of seats?  I've got an idea of how I can develop a macro for this, I would just rather not go down that path just yet because i can imagine that would only get really complicated.

Outcomes