7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2012 2:25 PM by Tim Webb

Unable to checkout componant of an assembly

Mark Smith

Hello all,

Let me start off by saying I am fairly new to Solidworks and really new to ePDM (less than a week).  At this point in time, we are experiancing many difficulties with the transition and our guys are on the phone with Dassault right now trying to figure it out.

I don't think, however, my question is related to our problems so I will ask it here in this forum.

I have an assembly checked out and open on my computer.  As I am doing the changes to the drawing that I need to do, I realize I need to make some changes to a componant of the assembly.  I attempt to check the model out but ePDM says I can't because it is open in another window.  I now have to close all my windows that have that model active (the assembly model and drawing) just to check it out.  This was not how it was in our previous version of Vault.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just how I am going to have to do things from now on????

Any help is appriciated.

Mark

• Re: Unable to checkout componant of an assembly
          Jeremy Feist

if you initiate the check out command from the windows eplorer or EPDM search windows you will get this message. You will want to use the EPDM add-in inside of SW to check out and change state while you have the file open.

Mark Smith

Why wouldn't this behavior be consistant between all ways of possibily doing something?????

Mark

Jeremy Feist

the requiremnet for the file to be closed is the norm. the Add-in gives you a short cut for SW files only.

Mark Smith

Is this a new behavior for ePDM????  I don't think that was how it worked in the Vault. 

Jeremy Feist

I have never used WPDM, but as far as I know EPDM has always been this way.

note - EPDM is NOT an "upgrade" of WPDM. it is an entirely different PDM system, with expanded capabilities. whoever set this up for you should have set up some training as well - there is a lot to learn.

Mark Smith

Thanks Jeremy, I realize that EPDM is not a direct upgrade from WPDM as in they are not the same product (like going from SW2012 to SW2013) but it was supposed to be an upgrade in functionality for us.  At this point I don't see it.  I spent all of yesterday printing out drawings that should have taken an  hour at the most.  I know some of that time is lost productivity due to not being familier with the software yet.  Some of that time is also doing som MINOR changes to the model (just removing one line of text in the detail markings of two details... I am talking 3 sheets total).  Maybe I am looking at the "upgrade" from the wrong angle.  I will have to adjust my train of thought when working now I guess.

Thanks for all of your valuable information.

Tim Webb

Hi Mark

Don't lose hope. Because EPDM has such a larger scope that WPDM, there is a mindset and culture shift to endure.

I include this topic in new user training (engineering anyway). On a basic level, it's like this; either do all check outs at the same time in windows explorer or do the check outs from within solidworks using the EPDM addin. Then once the model(s)/assembly is open in solidworks, use the EPDM addin to checkin/checkout.

For example:

Assy1 - checked out

Part1 - checked out (referenced by Assy1)

Part2 - checked in (referenced by Assy1)

file references 1.jpg

Open an assembly in EPDM from windows explorer but don't have all the parts checked out. In solidworks, Assy1 and Part1 are opened as editable while Part2 is opened as read-only IN MEMORY. All of these are loaded into memory (assume lightweight is not a consideration for simplicity).

file references 2.jpg

While in solidworks you can edit Part1 and Assy1 but Part2 is not editable. If you go back to windows explorer EPDM and try to check out the file, you will see an error that the file is locked by another application (solidworks).

I am unable to provide a screen shot of the check out box with this message.

Since Part2 is opened in solidworks, go to solidworks and use the EPDM addin to check it out and you will not see an error and the file will be checked out.

file references 3.jpg

Notice all 3 are checked out now.

file references 4.jpg

Then check windows explorer EPDM and you will see the Part2 is now checked out.

file references 5.jpg