10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2012 12:06 PM by Anna Wood

converting sruface to a solid body

Viswanath K

We are trying a surface body to a solid. The surfaces of the surface body were imported from ICEMCFD. When we try to form a solid it fails and says that there are open surfaces. The model is a fan blade with some modifications to the trailing edge. COuld someone give us some tips to successfully generate the solid body from the surface body.

• Re: converting sruface to a solid body
          JOHN GEORGE

Welcome to the forum

The imported surface quality is very bad. I tried to fix it in SW and gives error.

I tried even other programs, gives the same result.

How did you import into SW?

Can you post the original file?

Charles Culp

First, set the model to shaded with edges. Then you will see a blue edge whever the surfaces edges do not intersect.

This problem is caused because you didn't do any import diagnostics when you imported the model. Run import diagnostics, and follow the prompts until you get a clean import:

There will be a button called "Attempt to Heal All", this can typically fix these problems, but in your case it does not:

The reason it does not work for you is because you have a large open edge. Click on Gap 1 in the import diagnostics, and you will see that there is a list of the open edges. click on Edge <1-2>, then zoom in to that area on the model. You will see that there is a face missing. There is no way to automatically create faces, so you will have to use the Fill Surface tool to fill this in manually. Then use the "knit" tool to make it a solid part.

Then, you will notice that Edge <2-6) is open, but this is caused by a low quality export from your original software. You need to go back to that software and do a higher quality export.

Viswanath K

Thank you Charles and John, for your replies.

The "original files" are in the exported format from the ICEMCFD software. ICEMCFD outputs to a .tin file extension. CFD analysts make use of this software to generate models, and only export to IGS and Parasolid format are possible. Also there are no options in the software for changing the quality of export. We are trying to generate a solid model so that we can get this part made by the CNC machinist.

I could generate the original blade model with the unmodified trailing edge entirely within solidworks and it was successfully machined by a CNC machinist. We could have also tried the same thing for the modified blade model, but i guess it requires creating messy 3D sketches for the notched egdes. I have very limited experience with SW.

I knew about the import diagnostics and the check tool options. I did also notice a big gap at edge 1-2. I followed your advice and tried to fill the gap. But as you said the quality of the other surfaces with many gaps in between is what is preventing a solid to form.

Shon Owl

Do it simple in solidworks with standart functions :-). View this file.

Viswanath K

JErry, Thanks for recommending Rhino3d. I spent two days to eliminate all the naked edges and was still unable to create a solid.

You could have posted the solid works file also. Tried opening your parasolid file. It fails "round-tripping". That is I tried opening your parasolid and it had some import errors. Fixed them and exported it to IGES and reimported it to notice that the model still has problems. Which means that the machine shop folks will also have these problems and will not be able to commence making this part.