21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2012 5:22 PM by Anna Wood

Listen to your customers

Andrew Miller

Dassault middle management: push for QA, not new features

Dassault higher management: approve more QA projects

It's shameful that Solidworks 2012 SP 5.0 is so buggy

• Re: Listen to your customers
          Anna Wood

What problems are you having?  Maybe we can offer advice if we know what the issues are.

Cheers,

Anna

Alin Vargatu

My personal impression is that SolidWorks is listening to their customers and lately is using a lot of very well trained ears (coming in pairs, of course) to do just that.

SolidWorks 2013 is a pretty good proof for that.

That being said, it is quite possible that I did not get your point either.

Glenn Schroeder

I've been using SW2013 for three or four days.  I realize that's not much time, but I haven't had any problems with it so far and it has some features that I really like.  Since you seem to be reluctant to elaborate on the problems you're having with it I guess I'm one more who doesn't get your point.

Ian Minton

We've also found SP 5.0 to be crash happy. SP 4.0 was rock solid. This is a backwards step.

Difficult to locate the cause as it's happening random fashion and during actions that previously I wouldn't expect to cause a crash.

Some situations where crashes have happened:

• Basic sketch creation.
                • Moving blocks in drawings.
                • Moving from part to drawing.
                  Martin Carder

Hello.

Thank you for this excellent post, it mirrors exactly the problems we were facing and I have been using Solidworks for over a decade without the level of problems and bugs recently experiened in 2012.

The reseller became defensive and we had to justify every bug (on most occassions it was difficult for us to replicate the bugs due random causes that could not be pinpointed).

So we offered the reseller to totally wipe our system and re-install SW 64bit 2012 and there was a number of crashes during installation using the installation manager and we still had problems.

We offered the reseller to sit down with us and go through all the bugs but when we listed four A4 sheets of bugs we realised the only effective work around in our experience is Siemens - Solidedge or NX suite of products (dont forget they own the parasolid Kernel)

The time you spend arguing with your reseller could be better spent learning and earning money from a vastly superior and infinitley more stable platform of Siemens based software and mentality.

Martin Carder

Just wanted to add another little note...........

I see a pattern developing on these forums, people with low quantity of posts complaining about SW and people with high quantity of posts justifying how good the product is.

If I had time to post over 3000 posts I wouldn't be in business, hence I'm pretty sure there is a biast towards Solidworks representatives/ resellers giving lip service, instead of doing exactly what the topic of this post is "LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS"

So the more posts then the higher the chance the person is in the pockets of Dasault Systemmes.

The lower the number of posts then most likely these people are at the coal face trying to earn a living.

Remeber CAD is a tool to do a job, just like an engineer picking a tool out of a toolbox... Our policy is strong on software, the day the software drives your business is the day its time to look elsewhere.

Walter Fetsch

Martin, you're entitled to your opinions until you start slandering others.  There are quite a number of people posting on this forum, who give of their time to help others, day in and day out, and your suggestion that they are "in the pockets of Dassault Systems" is outrageous!  That you would make such a suggestion without any justification speaks very poorly of your character.  Grow up!

Martin Carder

Walter sorry if I offended you and other true contributors that certainly wasn't my intention, I welcome your comments so long as its not taken out of context as it opens up the whole debate whether SW is fit for purpose, but as an engineer/business owner I know my experiences are based upon fact. I agree there are many people on the forum who contribute and help but I don't see you making any comment on this thread regarding Anna Woods foul language towards another member. Its rather biased towards protecting Solidworks and its community.......  target those that complain.

My frustration is targeted towards my former reseller many of the responses on these forums mirror the recent culture of "being fobbed off" when in fact true people like Andrew Miller and myself have money to earn.

I see as I am typing this email I have stimulated more comments. Good day!!!

Anna Wood

I guess you have missed my complaints about SolidWorks over the years here on the forum or on my blog.    Definitely not a paid spokesperson for SolidWorks.

Sorry I offended you or anyone else, it was not my intent.  That is why there was a smiley face emoticon with my post.  Hard to convey body lanquage in text.

I have learned much from the forums over my years of reading them.  I enjoy helping those that seek help here for their design conumdrums with SolidWorks.  It is my way of paying it forward and giving back a bit.

Cheers,

Anna

Glenn Schroeder

Martin,

I don't have 3000 posts, but I do have well over 2000.  I don't now, never have, and almost certainly never will work for Dassault Systems or any re-seller. And I have never hesitated to say so if I think the software needs improvement.  I've learned a lot here, and I still am, and I enjoy being able to help other people who have questions.

And while it's certainly not always the case, sometimes those people with few posts you mentioned who complain more are complaining because they don't yet know how to work with the software.  I can't tell you how many posts I've seen here from someone complaining that the software doesn't do this or doesn't do that, when it does but they haven't learned how.

Martin Carder

Come on, the number of posts surely does not indicate experience as you suggest or is this more slander (what you think Mr Fetsch?)

We have paid for training and maintenance for years and used the reseller support rather than forums....

I have used SW for over a decade including advanced surfacing techniques and Finite Element Analysis so I'm certainly no beginner.

If you read my post again our complaint relate to bugs and not how to use the software, its also relates to the change in culture of our reseller to become more defensive in dealing with our support calls resulting in multiple calls and a lot of time wasting at our expense.

Anyway the problem for me is resolved as we have invested in the Siemens brand and can assure you that the platform is robust.

I am pleased I have stimulated the debate and ruffled some feathers on the way, thats what makes me breath and enjoy my job

Andrew Miller

For the record, I don't believe the Solidworks defenders on this board need be compensated financially for posts generally supportive of the software. I've personally met Anna at a local event and, while she is involved in the community, I don't think she's a paid spokesperson.

And for the record, I don't hate Solidworks, even though I my postings on this forum have been unflinchingly negative towards it. What makes me seethe about Dessault is, like many other tech giants with software that pushes its users into closed-ecosystems, they have changed their focus from engineering to sales. Changing CAD systems is so expensive that Dessault can let the user's experience erode into a pit of misery and despair and shrug their shoulders because market share isn't affected. In fact, Solidworks has probably reached the point where its own popularity is driving adoptions from companies who want to communicate with one another in native file formats. Why maintain/enhance the user experience (expensive, hard, and risky) when you can more effectively allocate those resources to a sales force which faces an increasingly easier task?

Very few companies have the discipline to keep customer focus when they're in the lead. Only a disruptive market event effects a change in that sort of mentality.

If I were at Dassault in management, I would neglect costly sustaining engineering (as they have), drum out a stream of useless, half-baked features every release cycle to to appease marketing (as they do), and exercise my options just before Google Sketchup becomes a viable alternative (coming soon?).

Paul Cullen

Hi Andrew

At the moment I am running SW 2013 and I am finding it ok, some crashes but not all that often. I know that it should not crash at all but I don't think that a perfect program was or ever will be written. One thing I do know from past experience is that sometimes just doing a reinstall of Solidworks is not enough, if your registry is screwed up a reinstall will not necessarily solve the problem, Last year I was having some trouble with Solidworks my VAR did everything he could to try and sort them out but he couldn't. When I had a quiet couple of days I did a restore of my computer back to just the windows operating system with everything else deleted off my hard drive, I then reinstalled any necessary software including SolidWorks and the problems disappeared.

I plan to do this at least once a year, I am going to do this again over Christmas when I have a couple of days, the way I look at it is it is like changing the engine oil in your car, it refreshes your system instead of just topping it up, If you are using a computer 5 days a week for 8 hours a day, running programs, searching the Internet, sending and receiving emails etc thing can get a bit jumbled at times and can need straightening out. Just like the oil in your car engine needs to be totally replaced not just a half a liter removed and a new half liter poured in, reinstalling SolidWorks or any program just isn't always enough.

I have also found that you have to turn off your anti virus when you are downloading SolidWorks, I also find it better to fully download SolidWorks and then install from your downloaded file than to try and download as you install.

Paul