36 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 9:57 AM by Wayne Schafer

SolidWorks complaint

Mark Craig

Dear SolidWorks,

I have been using your product since 1998 and on the most part, think it's a valuable tool for Engineering design.

But I am truly tired of waiting for the bugs to get fixed on a new release, only to find that they haven't, and some more new bugs have appeared!

Are there any plans to have a faultless, bug-free, non-frustrating version of SolidWorks in the future?

Or do we just have to realise that SW is always going to be this way?

Yours

Frustrated

• Re: SolidWorks complaint
          Steve Ostrovsky

Not arguing with you that there are bugs in the program, but do you post this type of comment on forums for all of the products that you use? I work with with MS Word, Excel, SQL Server, Photoshop, Chrome, GoToMeeting and more and THEY ALL HAVE BUGS.

I do know that SolidWorks does fix bugs. I got an SPR notification just yesterday for SPR 383356 which was something I reported on a in June 2011 and it's being implemented in 2014 A1.

My question back to you is - do you work with any faultless, bug-free, non-frustrating software. If you do, please post back so we can all share in its glory.

Mark Craig

Draftsight doesn't cause me any problems.

Part of my frustration is the fact that I have to work to very tight deadlines.

I suppose I wouldn't have learned a fraction of the work-arounds I have if SW had `worked' from the start.

Anna Wood

Mind sharing what the problems are...  Maybe there are solutions you are not aware of that we can help with.

Are you still using SW2010 or have you updated to a newer version?

Cheers,

Anna

Mark Craig

Hi Anna,

I am using SW2012 SP5.

I call the VAR about 3/4 times per week.

7/10 times they help - but the other 3/10 they say SW is dealing with the problem.

Sorry - but my deadlines don't stretch to accomodating SW and months of `bug-fixing'. My customers don't wait more than a few hours/days before seeking other suppliers.

Joe Kuzich

Steve,

I don't think that most people use most of those software's to the extent that they become as frustrated as they do when working with programs such as SW.  Personally I have not encountered any bugs that frustrated me with any of the programs you listed, but I use basic word processing features, basic spread sheet features, etc.  They may all have bugs in there somewhere but they don't seam to frustrate nearly as many people even though they have a much bigger market share and cost a fraction as much.  If people are frustrated by a company not fixing a product they are paying a lot of good money for then they should post this type of comment on forums like this.  Especially since its monitored by the folks at SW (so they get a better picture that they are not little bugs no one is frustrated by), and by people who may be thinking about switching to SW (its nice to hear the good and bad when making big decision's). 

Joe

Jeff Holliday

I agree with you that a customer should expect to see problems addressed in a timely manner. The "kicker" in that wish is that most of us who use a product and push the limits for that product will be the ones that run into the problems. If we have a problem that we feel is a "bug", it does need to be highlighted. I think we should stay more specific instead of a general comment about problems never getting fixed. There have been many bugs that are not fixed, but there are many more that are reported and corrected. Let's just try to be fair.

Joe Kuzich

That's a great point.  As you stated they do address some of the issues and not others.  In all honesty part of the problem may also lay somewhat with us as customers.  New releases sell better with new features than with fixed old features, as 1 vs the other.  Plus current customers are usually sort of stuck, at least to some degree.  I know that sounds mean to view it that way but it is what it is.  So from a business stand point it makes a lot more sense to invest more in the advancement of the product than in the quality.  Now if you can throw in some degree of addressing the bigger or more common quality issues with that, it seams like that is the winning combination.  That is what the market demands even though a smaller portion of us gladly stay on subscription to get the majority of the bugs squashed.  Even though I understand resources are limited and that the market may dictate things being done a certain way, I think its fair to expect a better product and that ultimately it is in our best interest to focus on quality first.  I believe that stands true for much more than just SW. 

Lenny Bucholz

Now all of us may say that it is a bug.......is it always or is it the way SW has intended it to work???

Yes I am not say there are not, I had put in a complaint for 3 point arcs in 3d sketches back in SW 98\99 and didn't see it till SW04ish, now I said bug they said that was the intendeded to work, just use a fillet......

Draftsite is just a clone of AutoCADish 2d solution, so yes pretty bug or function works as you were taught to make dwg's.

I say that when I work in NX it is buggy! but then some tell me thats how it works.

Jerry Steiger

Mark,

I sometimes get frustrated, too, but it seems to me that SolidWorks has, in fact, put more resources into fixing bugs in the last couple of years. Unfortunately, I believe the reality is that they could never fix all of the bugs if they did nothing else from now till Hell freezes over. Do you have any idea how many bugs there are? Neither do I, but from the number that get fixed with each SP, and the number of digits in the SPRs, it is a very large number. Then add in the fact that every bug fix has a fairly high probablility of introducing a new bug and you are looking at a very, very long term project.

Jerry S.

Greg Hynd

I reported a bug the other day, it was changed to implemented in less than a week in 2013 SP1. They seem to listen.

Sammy Redshaw

Craig most of these complaints are in specific area in the forums.

If you really want fast stable CAD use solid edge st5. But it is harder to learn.

Mark Craig

"If you really want fast stable CAD use solid edge st5. But it is harder to learn."

So paying £5000 for Solidworks doesn't give me a complete 3D modelling package?

I pay my cash but have to realise that the Software `don't work too good' ?

I just don't understand why we let software creators off so easily - any other manufacturer of any other product would have went out of business buy now, going buy the number of complaints (SPRs)

Hadleigh Murad

Mark, you've said bugs here, there and everywhere, but you haven't listed any in this complaint?

Yes it's true, any bugs found, should be and (most of the time) reported, but without reporting (SPR's) obviously how else would the delevopers know of any issues if they are not mentioned by a majority?

It's like as others said in this discussion, all programmes will/do have bugs.  I believe it's the extent we know/understand how to use the programme properly, not just finding shortcuts here or there because of tight deadlines, I also have deadlines to meet and if i do have a catch 22 scenerio, I will phone up my VAR, but only done that twice since 2011 tbh.

I suppose what could be an improvement, is the amount of choices of packages we could have with solidworks, I am using 2013 premium here at work (very expensive) but we don't even need I'd say 60% of what it offers (eg - costing, simulation xpress, flow xpress).  Mainly we use it for conventing 2D drawings from AutoCAD to solidworks drawings/templates and of course of 3D renders when needed to show clients.  I know there are 3 main packages out there, but we may use the premium options at a latter date.. (hence why we use the top dog) but I suppose that's my job to see what we can implement here at my current company. 

Maybe if Solidworks isn't up to your spec you can jump onto solidedge/inventor? just sayin'

Sammy Redshaw

Edge is the same price you should have trailed both versions before paying for a license....Edge has better support and faster fixes.

I have used both packages extensively and for the price Edge has very stable tool set and more useful features.Features that SW2013 has Just added has been in edge for years.it also has a Much better drafting setup. And the files integrates withe siemens PLM ans siemens NX brilliantly.

Unfortunatly works was £3000 a seat for a long time and hence a lot of business bought works on price rather than features. Hence I am stuck using this now expensive buggy package.

And Works pays Edge for the 3d parasolid kernel that they both use. Go figure.

Greg Hynd

Why cant edge get their model display nice? The graphics always look terrible when working on a model.

Sammy Redshaw

Just Edges style, I think they have spent more focus on the drafting and Getting the 3d tools to work properly before releasing new features into the software. As a mechanical engineer I am not bothered about looks unless am rendering I am more interested it getting the parts designed and dafted and assembled Edge isbetter at this. and with top down modeling especally with synchronus and history based modeling it faster.

It also has a lot of well thought out features Lock concentric mate are a wonderful feature when adding fasteners you just need 2 mates instead of 3 it saves time.Frames/Weldement are not a part file you can create the frame in an assembley add parts that cannot done with weldments.

Weld beads that look like leld and show up on the drawing.

and 2d drafting and sketching is way better than Autocad or draftsight. Things like creating P&ID block and saving them into the drawing template as a libaray save time and effort and  saving notes was easier.

I would say edge is like a Mercedes W124 it just works and is over engineered. and Solidworks is like a Lamborghini Diablo a lot of show and go but is unreliable and a pain to use.

Mark Craig

"Frames/Weldement are not a part file you can create the frame in an assembley add parts that cannot done with weldments. 

Weld beads that look like leld and show up on the drawing"

I agree - the limitation of SW `Welding functions' are plain to see - For a programme of it's complexitiy, it is let down by shortfalls when asked to perform simple tasks.

"Solidworks is like a Lamborghini Diablo a lot of show and go but is unreliable and a pain to use."

Yes, I agree.

Jeff Holliday

It seems we can all agree that there are many things that we would like any products in the world to do better. I think there is also a general agreement that a good way to solve a problem is to be as specific as possible in stating the problem. After that, it is out of our direct control unless we find a way around the existing condition. That's what this forum is very good at doing - providing the help we can to those who pose a question or problem.

I also believe that there are not too many of us who do not face the unfortunate reality of having to meet tight schedules.

Let's all get back to meeting our schedules and trying to help solve specific problems using our knowledge and whatever tools we feel work best for our individual needs.

Mark Craig

Edge sounds like a better option.

Greg Hynd

Edge has as many bugs as works. The grass is always greener on the other side. You will spend another 5k and be no better off.

Sammy Redshaw

i disagree I have used ST2 ST3 ST4 and 2005 2006 2007 2008 2011 and 2012, solid works was far more buggy and still havn't fixed alot of the darfting issues, when Edge introduced Synchronous modeling they kept the history base modling as they knew that Synchonous was a new concept to users they have delveloped synchronous modeling based on user feed back about the bugs and the rules. rather than Dump all of thye NX features straight in

Joe Kuzich

That's awesome to hear.  I'm pretty new to SW and I hear SO much about bugs and work around's its nice to hear the good along with it.  I know that most people tend to complain about the bad and let the good slide (myself included) but it is nice to hear the good too.  Thxs.

Peter De Vlieger

Let's first wait and see, shall we?

It wouldn't be the first time that something is reported to be implemented in a future version only to not really have been. In which case you're expected to make a new SPR and wait again to when it gets high enough on the priority list to be looked at again.

In some cases they even close a SPR as implemented in a old version, as in report a bug issue in 2009 getting a closed notification pointing to 2007 and still having the bug active in 2011.

Can't say if it's still there anymore because after a while the  bugs, work arounds and so called intended behaviour starts to blur.

Nothing is perfect. Entropy will always win out in the end. That, however, doesn't mean that SW can be excused for not investing more in fixing it instead of putting in new features that the world at large really isn't waiting for.

Denzil Searle

Mark, I feel your pain. I am stuck with 2010 SP0.0 as the subscription fees are too expensive. In fairness to SW, it is a big complex application that is expected to run on a wide variety of hardware, so some issues are inevitable. Still, there are far too many of them. I waste hours sometimes trying to fix or work round simple features that suddenly don't work properly, especially in complex parts.

Greg Hynd

All I can say is Ive used SW for 5 years now, and only ever once been bitten by a bug, which was only a week or so ago. I reported it and it and a fix has been implemented into the nest service pack, 2013 SP1. The fix took a week. I cant complain about that.

Erik Leonard

My opinion of the SW releases is that they have spent more resources on the window dressing than the structure.  I'm still waiting for stable assy mates and to asign a positive direction to new planes and define a coordinate system in sketches.  Not to mention the shortcomings of sheet metal and drafting.  My manchine shops could give a squat about photo-realistic modeling.

CAD companies have their customers by the short hairs.  It's not the investment in the software that keeps the incumbent in power.  It's the shear volume of data and lost productivity that is associated with switching.

Jon Christensen

I am surprised that no one has mentioned PTC's products. I used Pro/E/Creo at another company and it was extreemly stable, far more than SW for sure. The welding functionality was actually fun and worked very well (as long as you did not try it in the old versions!!). I used to get about 1-3 sprs in a year. With SW I have about 10x that (over 30 now in 2 years).

One person mentioned the "grass being greener on the other side"...this is why it is so important to actually try out and bench mark a package before putting down cash. If everyone did this instead of buying based on sales pitches then I think that all companies competing for market share would become more careful in what they released... we would see alot fewer bugs.

I have almost burned myself out in the "this software vs that software" argument...but I still have my favorites and those favorites are based on stability and how fast I can pump out product...

Mohammad Darabseh

I am using SolidWorks since 2004,

these days we are using Solidworks for designing HVAC Equipment for a big projects and the software is doing great despite some bugs in it,

Example: we analyzed errors due to SW software in one project and it was 4 sheet metal parts out of 3000 due to not updating flattened part.

Its reiable and we wish that developers will reduce bugs in the future.

Wayne Schafer

I have used a number of different CAD Software products over the past 30 years.  I have seen the advancements and declines in a number of them.  I have not used one yet that has not had some bugs in it.  Most of us will rate a software good if the bugs don't effect us because we only use certain parts of the software.  They all have there good points and bad points.  SW rates pretty good in a lot of the areas I put the software to use.  Everyone of the softewares I have used in the past have work arounds, some more than others.  Over all I would have to rate SW at an 8 or 9 with 10 being the best.

Peter De Vlieger

Wayne Schafer wrote:

...Most of us will rate a software good if the bugs don't effect us because we only use certain parts of the software. ...

Those of us that use those parts of the software that have bugs that do effect us won't be as forgiving. And that is the point.

If someone doesn't experience the problems that others do then it doesn't mean the software is good nor does it mean that those that do complain are ungrateful whiners.

At least once a week I can have a perpendicular angle with one leg parallel to X and one parallel to Y and the Routing module deems it not 90°. Which means that something that should be a no brainer can become a struggle for an hour just to get the *@#! elbow in it.

When it works, it's beautiful.

When it's doesn't work as advertised or logically expected then it's a crap.

Over all I would have to rate SW at an 6 or 7 with 10 being the best. Especially losing marks in 2D (DRW's) and Routing.

That others aren't better is neither here nor there. To my knowledge most companies want to make the best product that they can for a giving price range. Not the product that is about as good or as bad as the competition.

Wayne Schafer

Your right Peter, every company wants to put out the best product they can and we as users speak with our money by purchasing there product.  As I said earlier I have used a lot of softwares and I feel my money has been well spent.  That is not saying improvements are not needed