5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2012 6:12 PM by 1-56THY4

SolidWorks Founders Start New Company

http://raykurland.com/2012/11/01/solidworks-founders-start-new-company/

Jon Banquer

CADCAM Technology Leaders group on LinkedIn

• Re: SolidWorks Founders Start New Company
          Neil Larsen

Thanks for posting the interesting news Jon.

Handy having you out there closely monitoring the CADCAM habitat for us

Now as long as it doesnt involve clouds..you hear that John? CAD in the cloud = no.

When you see who's involved it kind of reinforces the notion SW most likely really is doomed.

Be watching that space keenly to see what they come up with.

Wonder how long it will be before they have something to show/publicise....you need a blog guys!

Wouldnt surprise me if some other familiar names pop up there in the future.

Neil,

It's amazing what you can learn when you don't spend all your time on one blog... especially one where the owner has no clues about CAM and has me banned from his blog because for years I called him out for his frequent BS on Usenet. How Kevin Q got mistreated is sadly typical. Kevin Q is a class guy who has a lot of valuable stuff to say. I quote him frequently because I'm so impressed with a lot of what he has to say:

http://cadcamtechnologyleaders.blogspot.com/

It will be interesting to see if this post stays up or magically disappears like so many of mine do here.

There is nothing wrong with cloud computing if it's done right and where it's an option and it's not used to hold an end user hostage.

I miss dialog with you, Neil. All your efforts on one blog makes absolutely no sense to me.

Jon Banquer

Neil Larsen

Well Jon its not so much all my effort as the only SW place I still participate.

I've been too busy lately with other stuff to be looking around like I used to.

I like it that Matt covers the SW news from an angle that others dont

and yeah it wouldnt surprise me if this thread disappears.

Some of my posts deemed to be too unfriendly to the company get removed as well.

Havent been banned anywhere yet though

It seems pretty clear to me that this new venture will have very strong ties to the cloud.

Hopefully this new venture will give users plenty of options and not use the cloud as a way to lock in perpetual maintenance or make what you're using basically rental software. No one I work with will go for this... especially those who deal with ITAR sensitive data or whose machining business is cyclical.  Frankly, I've never met anyone in the machining business whose business wasn't cyclical. In good times you upgrade and in slow times you keep using your older CADCAM software.

The approach to ramming cloud software down a customers throat doesn't seem like it will work for many segements of the market and I think better alternatives are needed.

Jon Banquer