22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 1:18 PM by Patrick Leduc

Bom Quantity question

Daniel Espinoza

In my assemblies I have some parts that are "As Required" quantities, they're things like tape and materials that come in sheets and then have to be cut into required shapes, rather than entering manual rows into the BOM, I've created dummy parts that have the appropriate numbers and fields, however, in the BOM the quantity reads 1, I want to read AR but without having to manually edit and fill the field, any ideas or solutions to make this happen?

• Re: Bom Quantity question
          Juanmanuel Pelayo

Hi Daniel como estas?

Go to your part or assembly of the dummy part,

then go to file then properties and select tab CONFIGURATION SPECIFIC   (My bad) CUSTOM and add whatever you want,

see pic

hope this helps

saludos

Tom Helsley

Hmmm,  I'm having the same problem...

BOM QTY Part 1.png

Custom Property Setting for the KRYTOX 250AC_GREASE model...

BOM QTY Part 2.png

If you want to bang around in my files, the attached assembly file has all the virtual components, and the BOM table is in the Assemby's graphics view.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I believe I have an answer to your situation.

1) Add a custom property to your parts/subassemblies called "IsAsReqd" (or whatever you like) and set it to 1 (one) for A/R items and to 0 (zero) for the std quantity.

2) Add a custom column to your BOM of column type "EQUATION".

3) For the equation, enter this: IF(`IsAsReqd`=0;'QTY.';"A/R")

4) Add QTY for this column's header.

5) Hide/delete the std QTY column,

I've attached three screen shots: one to see the parts in the assy and two others to see the BOM (I left the std QTY and IsAsReqd displayed for here, but they're not required). As you can see from the BOM, the green pin is A/R.

Note, because this is a part property, it will work wherever the part/subassy is used, but this property will only affect quantities that use this secret sauce column.

Otherwise, quantities are tallied as usual regardless of IsAsReqd's setting.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kevin

PS: Upon reflection, make the equation test for A/R (=1) and if that fails, then it uses the std quantity.

The reason for this is in case the property isn't defined, the equation fails the std quantity.

I didn't test what happens when a part doesn't have this property defined. The needs to be investigated.

Kevin

Tom Helsley

Well, that's a pretty creative workaround, Kevin.  I'm not crazy about the extra steps, but I do like how it keeps the associativity, and that is probably worth the effort.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Thank you for the compliment.

True, there's an initial pain factor, but once the BOM template is modified and saved, it's a matter of adding the property to your MRO parts.

The pain diminishes fairly quickly since I don't imagine one would have too many MROs to mod.

Thanks again and cheers,

Kevin

Mark Treadwell

This is an awesome workaround. One of our pain points is that our As Required parts (typically LocTite, anti-seize, caulk, and other material that we do not model geometrically) are made virtual so that we can call them out in balloons. On very large drawings, from time to time a rebuild will cause a virtual component to somehow be reset, flipping to the end of the BOM and losing all manually overridden entries such as qty AR. Eliminating that from a drawing that takes 10-20 minutes to swap between pages (thanks to 5 years of accretion of poor modeling by a parade of low-skill drafters) would be a huge time saver for me.

HOWEVER...

We use configurations a lot, which creates 2 issues here:

-The name of the Qty column changes when you display additional configurations, breaking the equation.

-Additional qty columns need to have the equation column added and the original column hidden, at the time that the new column is added.

I'd love to hear if anyone can suggest a workaround to the workaround that makes this work for me...

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I edited the config qty column heading to the standard "QTY." and the formula as written above still works.

I thought you'd have to edit this again when changing the config for the BOM's view, but SW didn't complain.

So, unless you need to show the config name in the BOM QTY column, instead of referencing it elsewhere, then try editing the heading and delete the config name and the "/".

Cheers,

Kevin

Mark Treadwell

Hi Kevin - that works when you only have one configuration, but if you have multiple configuration columns they need to have different names to work:

One configuration (equation qty in first column, "normal" qty in second column)

Two configurations. Configuration names listed in both equation columns. Another peculiarity of our format is that the first line of every BOM describes the assembly itself, with an X as the qty. If there's more than one configuration, they get consecutive dash numbers and each has an "X" as the corresponding qty. While we're messing with custom quantities I made the formula generic so that it would also handle that. I nested the IF statements as follows, in order to leave qty of "-" where appropriate. (I found that a nested if statement would only work when placed as the "false" condition.)

IF('4321-1/QTY.'=0;'4321-1/QTY.';IF(`QTY_SPECIAL`="";'4321-1/QTY.';`QTY_SPECIAL`))

Final display with the extra columns hidden:

So, it can be done, but it takes significant input to get it configured properly for each drawing. I can automate it with a macro, but then the challenge will be getting everyone else to use it properly - and there are likely enough special conditions where it will break, that I'll spend more time tweaking it than we'll save by not having to type "AR".

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Attached is a rather low tech approach:

Add a USE AS REQUIRED equation column that generates a blank or "YES".

The quantity columns are left alone.

A note is added to disregard quantities for AR items.

Not as elegant, but much easier for others to maintain and it's valid for any number of quantity columns.

Cheers,

Kevin

Patrick Leduc

I tested your equation, and it seems to work just fine if the "IsAsReqd" property is not in a part.