3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2012 1:47 PM by Deepak Gupta

Multiple Instances with opening files

William Wofford

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to stop opening multiple instances on my machine?

I have spoken to our suppliers of the package at Leamington Spa, UK, who say they cant help me - even though we have spent so much money on their program - what cheek !!

In any case, I am trying to avoid the 'A journal file could not be created ect....'

has anyone else had this issue and knows how to fix it?

Im running Win 7 on 64 with Solidworks 2011

Any Help would be great - its a shame about their after sales support..!

Cheers

Will

• Re: Multiple Instances with opening files
          Keith Parker

Hi William

First to say that it's time to change your VAR (Value Added Reseller)!  Clearly they're not adding any value when you have a clear problem ...  Who is it by the way; CADTEK, Solid Solutions or NTCADCAM?  If it's not one of those you're dealing with the small-fry end of the UK VAR market unfortunately and I'd change now.

Anyway, to your problem.  Solidworks is opening another instance of itself because presumably you're double-clicking on a file (part, assy, drawing) in Windows explorer while you already have Solidworks open.  This will not just bring that file into SW as you might expect.  There has been a fair amount of discussions about this last year and earlier this year (have a look at one discussion here).  It's a Win7 thing and you need to play with the registry settings.

If you just drag the SW file you want to open into your SW window or use the File>Open dialogue you won't get the problem.  Careful if you're in the assembly mode, as to open a new file by dragging, you need to drag it into SW outside the graphics area otherwise you'll insert it into your assembly.

Cheers

Keith

• Re: Multiple Instances with opening files
              William Wofford

Hi Keith

yes thats a great idea - I won't be using them again if they cant spare a few mins of help! Im not one to name and shame, but feel a bit let down.. Their Solid Solutions.

Im thinking that it is a registy issue but being on a work computer they wont allow me to tinker with it.. over to the IT dept!

I guess if anything ill have to remember to always have not to have more than one open - learnt the hard way and lost half a days work :/

Thanks for your reply Keith!!

Will