1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 30, 2012 1:54 PM by Mike Jaquet

    ePDM naming and part copy issue

    Mike Jaquet

      I have a part in our ePDM vault that was partially built using solid bodies from a previous version of Solidworks.

       

      I made a copy of the file, renamed the original, then tried to name the copy part with the previous name.  I want to use this part, I have deleted some features and solid bodies from it, then have added some new features to it.

       

      The error I get when trying to update the Data Card is:

      "Solidworks Enterprise PDM

      Could not save the value since it has already been used and the control has the unique constraint set."

       

      So, what steps should I take next?  This company is currently using SolidWorks Premium 2012 x64 Edition, SP 4.0. , and SolidWorks Enterprise PDM 12.2B615.

       

      Hopefully I don't have to regenerate/rebuild/remodel the part from scratch since it is fairly complex, which is why I was trying to shortcut by copying an existing part.

       

      In a nutshell, the original part was an assembly built with solid bodies for component parts mixed with features on the main body, coupled with some configurations to manipulate and turn on/off various parts and positions in the assembly. I am using separate component parts, and want to reduce this main part to the part only, then I want to build an assembly with separate parts.

       

      I'm not sure where to look to find the duplicate value or whatever is causing ePDM to not allow me to save the data card information.

       

      Thanks in advance for any help.

        • Re: ePDM naming and part copy issue
          Mike Jaquet

          UPDATE:

          I just renamed the copied part to something else, then generated a new part within the ePDM with the part number that I wanted to use, opened the file in the editor, added some geometry and a configuration, saved/checked-in, then went to the ePDM and was able to update the newest file part number and the system took it okay.  This tells me that there is not a naming conflict per-se, so it is looking like something internal to the original part and the updated copied part that are in conflict with each other.

           

          So, it looks like I will be generating a new part from scratch to get done what I need to get done in the manner that I want to get it done without using solid bodies.  Oh well, time to bury my head in the editor for a few days. Probably better to do this now rather than later when I've got the part included in 20-40 different assemblies so I don't end up with corrupted issues down the road.

           

          oh well