12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2012 5:42 PM by Juanmanuel Pelayo

change part numbers

Kent Kwan

Hello All,

I am newbie to SW but was assiged to make some simple udpates to the existing SW drawings.  Hope anyone of you can provide me some help on this:

First of all, I need to change some part numbers in a exising 123.sldasm drawing.  The 123.sldasm drawing contains total 13 major components and I need to change the part numbers for 5 components.  How should I do it?  Can you direct me to some instrustion or SW user's manual?

Secondly, after the change stated above done, how do I update the BOM (shown on 123.slddrw drawing) automatically?

Thank you so much for the help in advance.

Kent

• Re: change part numbers
          Glenn Schroeder

Kent,

Welcome to the forum.  You can open the part file, click on the Configurations tab, RMB on the configuration name, choose Properties, then go down to Bill of Materials Options.  Choose "User Specified Name" from the drop-down, then enter the new name in the box.  Another option is to double-click on the cell in the BOM and enter in the new number.  That will link back to the part. You may get a pop-up box asking if you want to keep the link to the part.  Click "yes" or your balloons won't be linked.

Danny Pearson

I would use SolidWorks Explorer.  You locate the file just like Windows Explorer, but you can change the file name in there and it will automatically update every other file that that part is used in.

Glenn Schroeder

Kent,

I just re-read your post.  If you want to change the file names, do what Danny said.  The instructions that I gave will change the name that shows in the BOM but leave the file names unchanged.

Jerry Steiger

Kent,

If, like many companies, you use the part number as the file name, then you can use SolidWorks Explorer, as Danny suggests, or you can open the drawing, open the assembly, and open the parts you want to rename. "Save as" the parts with their new name. The names will update in the assembly and the drawing. Now save the assembly and the drawing.

If the part number is a property of the part, but not the file name, then you will need to do the above, but edit the part number property in the part files, rather than change the file name, then save the parts, assembly and drawing.

Jerry S.

Kent Kwan

Gentlemen, thanks for the quick response.

Danny and Jerry,

In my case, the part number is a property of the part, but in SW Explorer, I couldn't find the part property function.  Hightlighted and right clicked the part name did not see the property feature, can you give me a step by step solution?

Thanks,

Kent

Kent Kwan

Hold on a minute, I found the Component Properties feature, but did not see part number item there.  Is the Component Reference item for the part number?

Danny Pearson

If you go to "File", then select "Properties", is the part number within there?  If so, it's fairly quick and easy to change it there, and it will update in other files it's used in when you open them.  You can also change these properties in SolidWorks Explorer if you don't want to open every part.Untitled.png

Kent Kwan

But that can only change the top level file name and its part number.  But how do I change the part numbers of parts that are in lower levels of this drawing. 

Thanks,

Kent

Danny Pearson

There are multiple locations you can put the part number of your part; the actual file name, the description of the part, the properties of the parts as I showed above, the name of the configuration, and probably more.  All of those, except the description of the part (only way I know is to open and Save As and change there), you can change by opening the part or in SolidWorks Explorer.  To know the right answer for your question we need to know where in the part file your part number is called out, otherwise all we can do is throw out a bunch of options.

Juanmanuel Pelayo

Hi Kent,

just in case you want to rename the files, open a windows explorer to locate them and select one, right click and select solidworks and then rename,

remember that you need to rename both files part and drawing (OR assembly and dwg) of every single part number.

hope this helps.