2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2012 12:21 PM by Will Invents

Flow simulation - Percent progress

Will Invents

Hi,

I have been familiarizing myself with Flow Simulation and am not doing well, I am confused when I model a complex heat exchanger since the Excel goal plot gives a 'progress (%)' of less than 100%, even though the Solver has completed and a bulk average temperature has been determined (for calculation of efficiency).

Is there something very wrong happening here?

Thanks

• Re: Flow simulation - Percent progress
          David Lawton

Check out the calculation control options and look for the following:

'Finish' Tab --> Finish Conditions --> Maximum Travels

You calculation may be stopping prematurely because of the limiting number of travels that are set. Try unchecking the "Maximum Travels" on/off checkbox and continue your calculation. I believe the default is 4? You can manually go in and change it but I generally leave it unchecked. Probably not the best idea if you have a batch of simulations queued-up since you'll get stuck on the non-convergent one but useful otherwise.

Dave

• Re: Flow simulation - Percent progress
              Will Invents

Thanks Dave!  I have found that more recent calculations have been solving without issue (100%), indeed the previous ones (with progress less than 100%) seemed reasonable results, but I assume they cannot have been. I think your suggestion does make sense and I'll keep it in mind if this happens again - I've been using a less refined mesh lately, so this is probably why (given your suggestion) I'm no longer having issues.

Will