5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2015 7:40 AM by Tyler Tempero

All assemblies are suppressed upon importing STEP files

Adrian Tayne

I searched the topic and didn't find anyone who was having the same problem.

I just imported a massive STEP file. The .stp itself was 250MB and it took about half an hour to load...

But that's not my problem. Once all the parts assemblies had been created, I got a dialog box that told me it was suppressing all of the assemblies. There were probably a hundred of them and I had to go through the design tree and unsuppress all of them.

I checked the import settings and there doesn't appear to be an option related to this.

Is this something I can prevent?

• Re: All assemblies are suppressed upon importing STEP files
          Chris Challinor

I am just in the process of opening a STEP file (18,580 Kb) myself, with the same issue (SW 2013 SP0)..........what's the deal with this?

Add to that the 46 faces and 3911 gaps that need to be healed..............

Oh, and this file I had to send to my vendor as a Step file because they are on an older version of SW, has it ever been mentioned that it would be a good idea if SW OLDER could open SW NEWER??????......has it....would of been fine if 2012 SP05 was out BEFORE SW2013

Karl Wooster

Try a save as to some other format (like parasolid).  It will then ask if you want to unsuppress all components.  After that is complete, you can delete the parasolid and your assembly will be unsuppressed.  I know there is an option in SW to keep it from doing this, but I can't find it right now.

Adrian Tayne

Well, I haven't found a fix for this. But I did discover a very convenient work-around.

After the STEP file was done importing, I selected the top-level assembly in the design tree, hit Edit>Unsuppress With Dependents>All Configurations and it unsuppressed the entire design tree in one operation.

I had been working in Large Assembly Mode which doesn't mention the suppression of features, but it could be related. The STEP file takes too long to load for me to feel any desire to experiment with that. Maybe I'll have an opportunity if SW crashes again when I go to save this file...

Tyler Tempero

I know that this is 3 years late, but I would like to have this information out there for others who end up with this problem.  This only happens when the imported file is loaded as an assembly (at least for me).  After calling support, we found that the it was a setting within the default template for assemblies.  To fix the problem, opened the default template for assemblies (the *.asmdot file) using Solidworks.  Then go to the configurations tab and right-licked on the Default configuration.  Go to the properties and uncheck the 'Suppress new components' option within the 'Advanced Options'.  Re-save this Default Template and try opening your imported files.

-Tyler