16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2012 12:34 PM by Bryant D

Saving part models as .dxfs

Tanner Moore

I am a CNC router programmer programming SolidWorks parts in Mastercam X6. My current process for programming parts begins with me opening the part drawing file in EPDM for all the parts I need to make, saving the files as .dxfs to a network drive (I don't have write permission for our PDM Vault), then manipulating those .dxfs in another prehistoric piece of drafting software where I come up with a nest, which I then save as a .dxf to program in Mastercam.

We have at times encountered an issue with drawings not being rebuilt, so while I am working with the latest version of the drawing in PDM, it may not be an accurate representation of how the part looks on the designer's terminal and consequently an older version part is manufactured. It has been suggested to me that I could try saving the part models as .dxfs, rather than the part drawings, and that may provide additional security in the process.

In my first attempt at saving a part model as a .dxf I found that the process worked well, except no hidden lines were visible. Often enough I am programming parts with critical geometry on the back side of the part, for which I create a program to complete the second operation. So my question is:

Does anyone know if it is possible to save a part model as a .dxf and have hidden lines showing? If I do begin to use this approach I will be saving the top view of each part. I will not adapt to this approach if I am required to save two different .dxf files for each part that requires a second operation.

If any answers or suggestions to this dilemma involve a specific approach or use of EPDM, please let me know as I am part of a committee responsible for proper use of EPDM and development of procedures required to do so.