17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2013 9:26 AM by Lou Digilio

Using hole wizard on a non-planar surface

Pamela Miles

I'm trying to use hole wizard to create a threaded hole on a cylindrical surface but it keeps saying it can't create one due to it being located on edge geometry (or something to that effect).

I created a plane tangent to the surface and perpendicular to the hole (as it is to be placed).  I have a sketch that precisely locates the center of the hole.  I can snap right to it and the orientation is perfect, but hole wizard won't create it.  If I move hole wizard off the construction geometry, it does it just fine.  I've tried using planes, axis, points, construction geometry and they all fail for the same reason.  Remove them, it works... only I cannot precisely place the hole without something to snap to.  The construction geometry is on it's own sketch.  I'm only using the plane to orient perpendicular to the face.

Picture a 3" cylinder, 1" thick.  I'm trying to place a .25" hole 9 degrees from 0 and .125" from the top edge of the side.  For some reason it refuses to execute the command if there is any reference geometry there.  It doesn't have this issue with planar surfaces, just non-planar surfaces.  Extruded cut works, but then it's not detailing it as a threaded drill hole.

Any ideas?  Or is there another way to place the hole that I am not thinking of?

• Re: Using hole wizard on a non-planar surface
          Anna Wood

Can you post your part or a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Cheers,

Anna

Pamela Miles

Sorry, I guess throwing out a scenario off the top of my head sort of confused things.  Here is an actual example (attached image of what happens):

I have created three planes, plane 4 is tangent and perpendicular to the surface.  Plane 6 is located at the center of the cylinder.  Plane 5 is perpendicular to plane 6 at the location for the hole.  Axis 1 passes through that intersection.

Cylinder diameter (end that I am cutting into) is .250.  Hole is to be cut .156 in from the end of the cylinder (plane 5 location) dead center of the cylinder (plane 6 location).  Hole to be cut is .125 diameter by .062 deep.

As you can see, the hole wizard snaps to the correct location to cut the hole but gives me this error.  Move off of the reference geometry even the slightest, it works.  Remove the reference geometry and it works (although placement is a wag).  I realize a simple extruded cut will suffice, but I get this scenario whenever I try to use hole wizard on non-planar surfaces in which I use any reference geometry, be it construction lines on a separate sketch, what have you.  This is actually the simpler example.  I do have a drill hole that needs to be placed 9 degrees off center along a cylindrical surface.

So what am I fundamentally doing wrong here?fud.png

Glenn Schroeder

Pamela,

I'm at home now and don't have SW here, so I can't duplicate your problem or explain why it won't work the way you want.  Someone else probably will help, but if not I will give it a shot when I get to work on Monday morning.  In the meantime, I assume that when you click on the arrow to go to the second page of the hole wizard CommandManager that you are first clicking on Plane 4, then placing the point for the hole selection?  If so, there may be a problem with placing it on the axis, but that's pure speculation.

On the other hand, you said that you could get it to work, but placement was a wag.  It doesn't need to be.  Did you see my post from yesterday evening?

Brian Lindahl

If you are creating a .25" diameter hole .125" from the top of the cylinder, the error should be to the effect that the feature generated a 0.0" wall thickness condition.  It makes sense that moving the hole works.  SolidWorks cannot create 0.0" wall thickness.  Is there an edge down the side of the .25" diameter hole, or is there material there?  See the issue?

Jeremy Feist

so the hole is not in line with the axis of the cylinder?

Glenn Schroeder

Pamela Miles wrote:

only I cannot precisely place the hole without something to snap to. 

Pamela,

For future reference, I usually also have an independent sketch that I snap to when using the Hole Wizard, but it's not necessary.  After selecting the plane and clicking to place the point(s) for the hole locations, you can hit the escape key to exit the point command and then use dimensions or relations to precisely position / fully define them.

Jerry Steiger

Pamela,

I'm not a hole wizard user, but, I seem to recall that if you preselect the plane, then you get a 2D sketch for your hole location. If you don't, then it makes a 3D sketch. If so, it seems like preselecting the plane would help.

Jerry S.

Anna Wood

Is this what you are trying to do?

3D sketches can be tricky.  Be sure to contrain the entities to the plane, cylindar face and the axis.

Cheers,

Anna

Scott Cole

at this point make a new plane, start hole wizzard, set up you hole, click position, select the plane place the holes, dimension.

Pamela Miles

Hi Anna (and everyone else who has responded),

So in order to use hole wizard on a non-planar surface I need to be using a 3D sketch, not a 2D sketch in order to locate the hole.

From Anna's example, her 3D sketch was located on the plane that she made.  What I am unclear on is whether she edited the 3D sketch before or after placing the hole?  I tried reverse engineering what she did but came up short in that I could create a sketch on the plane while in hole wizard but when placing the hole, it went perpendicular to the plane, not along the axis that I sketched.  LOL, clearly I have the process all wrong. 

Is there a tutorial on using hole wizard on non-planar surfaces?  I'm just learning (obviously).  Up til now, it's been 2D sketches to create geometry with.

If the process is simple, maybe just explain what you did Anna?

Anna Wood

First create the plane offset from the end.

Then select the cylindrical surface and invoke hole wizard.  It should automatically drop you into a 3D sketch.  Then you constrain the point and added construction lines to the plane and the axis as needed.

There are two tutorials on 3D sketching in SolidWorks under Help.

Cheers,

Anna

Pamela Miles

Thankyou All,

Seems I was making the process far more complicated than it needed to be.  I just needed to place the hole approximately where it needed to be and then edit the 3D sketch to accurately place it.  I was thinking I needed to have it all set up before I used hole wizard. I only needed to have  some of it set up.  Doh!

Cheers to all who offered their advice. 

Danny Pearson

No need to create planes 4 or 5 in your part.  As Anna said, click the cylinder's curved surface and start the hole wizard.  You can then draw your construction line in the needed direction (in your picture it would be along X), select the line and plane 6 and select "On Plane", select the lines end point and the cylinder's curved surface and select "On Surface" and drag the hole's point onto this point, dimension your line from the end face (same dimension plane 5 would be).

Wayne Schafer

Here is another method you might want to consider.  This way you can change the angle just by editing sketch 3.  Also how far down from the top by editing the hole wizard sketch.

Lou Digilio

I'd like to add to this discussion if I may...

How would one use the hole wizard on non-planar sufaces, multiple instances in one 3D sketch and maintain the orientation of the hole such that they are all aligned as if machined or drilled with a cluster bit, not like the picture shown:  I want all the axis pointing normal to the back surface.

-Lou

Capture.JPG