10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 4:36 PM by John Wilkes

Tedious repetition

John Wilkes

Hi,

Whenever I create a sketch/part, I always want to set the image quality as to be the optimal for my system (just below the red line).

Although I've tried to create a macro for this, it's been without sucess.

Any ideas that stop me from having to do the whole Tools - Options - performance - image quality thing?

SW2012

Many thanks.

• Re: Tedious repetition
          Jeremy Feist

there was a macro posted to this forum a while back that would set the image quality to a preset amount (you would need to edit the macro to get a different value). a little searching should find it.

Anna Wood

This is a document specific property.  Make sure to save out new template files after you change any document specific properties that you would like to use for all your work.

Cheers,

Anna

John Wilkes

Thanks Anna,

But I'd like it very much to be a system specific property - and I don't see why it can't be? My computer knows what it can handle in terms of processing. Any Macro available? 'Cos I've tried and I can't write one for this...

Cheers,

John

J. Becker

This seems to work. Rehashed from...

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/274594#274594

Dim swApp As Object

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set Part = swApp.ActiveDoc

Part.SetTessellationQuality 10 '(as a %)

End Sub

John Wilkes

Many thanks, Mr. J. Becker...

I'll give it a try - sorry about the budget cuts...

J. Becker

Shiite. Things look up,now. I've got to change that tagline. Thanks for the reminder.

Sorry above works in 2011, haven't tried with 2013beta. Some on out larger network are locked into 2011, so no 2012 either.

or create multiple .prtdot files — open template, adjust quality, save, copy file and rename: HP1500blahblah.prtdot, AlienX82345.prtdot., and place on specific workstation.

or have workstations copy over specific files during boot up from network server. I know IT does this with our VNC info screens,

John Wilkes

Thanks again - but what you just said could just as well have been in Martian to me - I'm a designer with almost no I.T. experience - I use SW as a tool that let me get bits of metal and plastic off production floors (so computers are a necessary evil...)

Any advice in English?

John Wilkes

Bizzare - it worked once, but only once. After that, it kicked out my latest setting regarding sketch settings, where the plane would automatically present itself parallel to the screen after selecting a sketch tool.

I also tried Steven Wosniaks advice (from the original link you posted). This was posted in 2012, but I don't know what platform he was using.

Anyway, still searching for the answer, but many thanks for your help.

John Wilkes

Apologies Mr. J. Becker,

It actually does work consistantly with SW2012, it just doesn't move the slider in the image quality window up towards the red line as you'd expect it to.

The actual image, though, is much improved, and I think it was some ghost in the machine that affected the sketch settings. After a re-boot, this dissappeared.

Many thanks.