3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2012 4:26 PM by Anthony Botting

inflation simulation

Elica Simons

Hi, I didn't learn a whole lot when I took solid modeling since it was a sumer course but I'd like to use it for a research project. We are designing an inflatable object and I was wondering if there is a simulation to show the inflation/deflation of PVC plastic material. I am using SolidWorks at school which is 2011. Also, I'd like to know if the software isn't capable of this task so I can stop trying to figure it out! Thank you for any help

• Re: inflation simulation
          Anthony Botting

The nonlinear module should be able to handle it. Look in the tutorials under the 'nonlinear' section. There are examples of large deformation, and large displacement (which transcend to a nonlinear, iterative analysis) using materials such as acrylic, hyper-elastic rubber, sliding contact, and so on. The component models are normally installed by default and there are links in the tutorials to open them, and you can follow along with the text. Hope that helps!

Elica Simons

Thx for the help but I can't find a 'nonlinear' section in the tutorials. When I run a search, the only thing that comes up is this:

Linear static analysis makes the linearity assumption, the elasticity assumption, and the static assumption.
              Analysis results are invalid if any of these assumptions are not satisfied.

Linearity Assumption

The induced response is directly proportional to the applied loads. For example, if you double the magnitude of loads, the model's response (displacements, strains, and stresses) doubles. You can make the linearity assumption if the following conditions are satisfied:
              • The calculated highest stress is in the linear range of the stress-strain curve characterized by a straight line starting from the origin.
              • The maximum calculated displacement is considerably smaller than the characteristic dimension of the part. For example, the maximum displacement of a plate must be considerably smaller than its thickness and the maximum displacement of a beam must be considerably smaller than the smallest dimension of its cross-section.

Use nonlinear analysis if the linearity assumption is not satisfied.

Elasticity Assumption

The part returns to its original shape when the loads are removed (no permanent deformation).

Use nonlinear analysis if the elasticity assumption is not satisfied.

Static Assumption

Loads are applied slowly and gradually until they reach their full magnitudes. Suddenly applied loads cause additional displacements, strains, and stresses.

Use dynamic analysis if the static assumption is not satisfied.

I can try the 'nonlinear analysis' if I can find it but no clue where it is. went through the simulation and couldn't find it there. Can you direct me where this might be?

Anthony Botting

This may be slightly different depending on your version of SW: Menu: Help/SolidWorks Simulation/Tutorials. The main SW window should shrink down in width and a new tutorial window should open on the right side. I found a link to "Nonlinear' in the window, but I do not see a search field. I made a little video of this action you can compare to yours (link below). Hope that helps. If it does not work, you may need to contact your service provider. - Tony

Navigation to Simulation Tutorials

http://youtu.be/8JKwW5cGJYw