4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2012 1:56 PM by Jason Henke

Merge Two Surfaces Into One

Jason Henke

Merge Two Surfaces into one:

Could one of you Surface guru’s take a look at what I’ve got here?  I’m trying to merge two surfaces into one nice clean uniform surface where the contours all run together.  I’ve managed to create a few Boundary Surfaces to get them to merge together but they don’t look very clean and uniform.  If you roll it back to the original Surface-Offset1 you’ll see the two original Surface Bodies I’m trying to merge into one.  I’ve tried just about everything I can think of to make this a cleaner merged surface but have been unsuccessful.  I’ve tried the Surface Loft with no luck, and can’t really get the Surface-Fill to work out either.  Is there something I’m missing?  It seems I can’t ever get the “Curvature to Face” to ever work.  That’s ideally what I think would want here.

So if anyone else has any ideas let me know.  I’ll keep plucking away at it and if I come up with something good I’ll post it.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

• Re: Merge Two Surfaces Into One
          Matt Lombard

You'll never get that to work with SolidWorks. Any interpolated geometry made with different features is always going to have a break between the faces created by features (except for the Extend feature, which probably won't do what you want in this case). It might not be important, but people don't want to hear that. Somehow people get stuck on merging faces. The sooner you let go of that idea, the sooner you can get on with fixing the rest of what's wrong with this part.

If you really want to have a single face with no split edges, you'll have to make it all as a single feature. That's not a bad idea, but the existence of the Body-Delete1 in there leads me to believe you don't really understand features or history modeling very well.

If you're talking about merging bodies, you can do that with the Knit feature, make sure to use the Gap Control to close the gaps.

It seems to me that you've got to go back and understand some fundamentals of SolidWorks and of surface modeling before you can make much progress against something like this. There are some courses you can take to learn about surfacing. I can't really answer everything you need to know to make this work (and understand why so you could do it again on your own) in a single comment.

If you're going to do a lot of this, then you should invest some time in learning. If you're not doing a lot of this, you might consider hiring someone who can do it. If this is just for fun/learning, then spend some time on google searching surfacing links.

Best of luck.

Jason Henke

Thanks for the input and lecture.

I've been using SolidWorks since 2004, and our company does nothing but aircraft parts.  I've been using SolidWorks surfaces for years now.  What I uploaded was just a simple quick and dirty way I used to get it somewhat close in roughly 20 minutes.  Since you've worked on surfaces so much, you should be able know you pretty much do anything you can do to get it to work.

Again, thanks for the lecture.

Matt Wallace

I don't know if this is what you want, but one of your original surfaces had a non tangent edge.  I added a fillet, then created a boundary surface between your trimmed surfaces.

Jason Henke

Matt,

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah I did notice that.  These models came from data that was converted from Catia V4 using FormatWorks.  So who knows what that is really doing in the background.  After messing with all of the settings in FormatWorks trying different features and settings that was the best that I came up with and the cleanest.

Putting the Fillet in there was a good call, I think that was where I was having issues at.  It didn't seem that the Boundary_Surface was recognizing it as an Open Group earlier.

Sometimes you just need an extra set of eyes looking at it.

Thanks for your time Matt, I appreciate you looking at it.  I think this will get me started.