6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 4:24 PM by Brad Hakeman

System Drawings

Brad Hakeman

We currently create system drawings in AutoCAD to give a graphical representation of what our customers would need in order to build a system of our products based on what machine they have.  (www.ravenprecision.com)  We manufacture Precision Ag components for various brands of Tractors and Sprayers and no two systems are alike.

We have to provide 2D views of our models so they can bring them into the drawing.  Of course, this means graphics aren't updated and we're maintaining two cad systems.   I was asked to find a way to create our system drawings in SolidWorks.

Any thoughts?  I have attached an example of one of our System Drawings.

• Re: System Drawings
          Mike Lydon

If your goal is to drop the Autocad license and subscription fees, give Draftsight a try. It is part of the Solidworks "family", and is entirely compatible with Autocad. There will be a learning curve to be proficient drawing in the Draftsight environment, as it is the same as Autocad, but different. If you want to draw in SolidWorks, good luck. Solidworks sucks at drawing lines, ala Autocad. SolidWorks is, after all, a 3D MODELER, not a piece of 2D drafting software.

Sammy Redshaw

I would Create a library of P&ID blocks and save them to a drawing template copy and drag the blocks from template to the system. drawing sheet and create the system as an P&ID  diagram the draw a model of  the system assembly and drop it into the drawing sheet.

Brad Hakeman

We're currently converting more people over to DraftSight.  We can't fully drop AutoCAD because we use VeSys Design & Harness for our wiring harnesses.  (Looking into SW Electrical at the moment).  I would like to see us creating blocks from our SW Drawings (a feature I just learned we will be able to do in SW2013), and drop the blocks into the CAD System Drawing. 

These drawings are mostly used for our manuals and installation sheets. (Which should probably be generated in 3DVIA Composer, which we're also looking into for our Tech Writers and trainers.)

The current method is to release ALL drawings as dwg, converting the slddrw into dwg.  (Just saying that now is like nails on a chalkboard to me.)  We're in the process of changing that process to keep the drawings intact. 

I like the idea of creating a "system assembly" where all parts are brought in with connecting cables.  The concern I have would be in creating the wire routings.

Thanks

Jim Steadman

Make all of the individual assemblies in Solidworks (including cables) bring them into a new assembly and make a drawing. You may have to make new configurations for the cables. Mate to planes. You'll probably have to do a few and experiment a little to get exactly what you want.

Peter Gumprecht

Brad,

We occasionally create something similar for our cables to show what they are connected to or as a wiring diagram. What works well enough for us is to create blocks representing each component and sub-assembly, place the blocks into a drawing and then draw lines/splines indicating the correct routing. I will try and post an example of ours.

Peter Gumprecht

Here is an example of how we do it.

The red balloon outlines are either assemblies or parts turned into blocks and inserted into the drawing. Please note that the blocks will not update if the model file is revised.generic WD.png