15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2012 7:23 PM by Steven Galati

Sheet Metal Design Issue

Steven Galati

I am current using 2012-13 software and im looking to have and angled piece of sheet metal (rounded) to fit the face of cylindrical counter face... I need the piece of sheetmetal to go down 36" at an 108 deg angle ....maintaining thickness,all the way down... not a taper! please let me know if this type of build is possible in solidworks

i tried using the loft sheetmetal command which didnt work nor did extruding or revolving, then convertingphoto1.JPG

• Re: Sheet Metal Design Issue
          Shawn Casebolt

Yes, do a revolve around the vertical axis.  Then you can sketch it at 108deg and 36" length.

Steven Galati

Im a CSWA i tried all the conventional stuff but im not great with sheet metal, this will eventually be bendable plywood, as i design custom display cases.Im trying to wrap the front of a curved counter that angles back towards the base, but it needs to be a sheetmetal feature to show the plywood unrolled or flattened so that we can gauge the amount of bent wood we would acutally need. I need to basically  sheetmetal loft it i guess but doing it on an angle is proving tricky!

i can revolve the profile and get the outcome i need butttttttt that finished result leaves me unable to convert the revolve to sheetmetal , which in turn wont flatten out !

thnx for your response tho

Steven Galati

harold , yes very close to what im trying to do, heres a question for you ...im basically lookin for your model, before the tab function but is there anyway to get that top nd bottom piece of the end cap flush?... I notice that when you add the tab feature you basically square your project up but if you roll it back to before the tab feature, nd edit your original sketch from its "u" shape , to a regular arc. is it possible to make the top nd bottom flush so that i can mate a nailer to them! thats where i struggle, i need that nailer to mate nd its not cooperating right now! the 1st pic is the angled plywood loft...the 2nd is a close up of how it doesnt sit flush ...the 3rd is the general idea im going for but that counter has no angle in it ...its straight 90photo6.JPGphoto7.JPGphoto8.JPG

Harold Lakoduk

Steven,

In order for the sheet metal part to unfold any cuts through a bend / curve in the sheet metal must be Normal cuts, at least in the version I'm using. If you need the top and bottom edges to be paralllel to a surface for nailing then it is best to perform a trim cut in a new configuration, like Gerald mentioned in his post.

It appears that Gerald's example does not have the 108 defree slant. But that may just be the orientation of the part.

As you slant the part away from the vertical the edges defining the thickness of the sheet metal will stay perpendicular to the faces of the part. Since your part does have the 108 degree slant there needs to be a second op to cut, with the Normal option deselected, the edges parallel to the mating surfaces .. Note however that you will not be able to flatten the part in that state. Hence the new config to allow the cut for assembly.

I will try to upload an example later.

----

Okay, I'm back.

Here is an updated part file. I added a config that has a cut at the top and bottom. I adjusted the initial size of the part so it trims back to 36 inches in the Straight Cut config. Think of it as taking your curved plywood piece and trimming the top and bottom with a band saw to get the edges parallel to the mating parts in the physical assembly. It's not a dut that could easily be done on the plywood before it was curved.

Here is a close up of the top edge after trimming. Note the Normal arrow where I selected the edge face.

I was a litle surprised that it did flatten, although with an error stating that the part had a beveled edge that could not be handled.

curved plywood endcap - close up.JPG

I notice that in your new pictures that the part appears to have vertical sides. Has the design changed or are they just to show the attachment at the top and bottom?

Steven Galati

photo8.JPGa rotated pic might help a bit

Steven Galati

thnx troy i do know that but bc im at work  im goin between 2 diff pc's ....this is the easiest way with all the security measures they have on the pc's .... thnx to

Gerald Davis

Steven Galati wrote:

I am current using 2012-13 software and im looking to have and angled piece of sheet metal (rounded) to fit the face of cylindrical counter face...

Steven,

The attached demo is in SW12 format.  It is a part that will unfold.

My version of your part is modeled using planes that represent the top and bottom of the mating framework.  Each plane hosts a sketch that corresponds to the framework's curve.

A boundary surface uses those sketches to support a thicken to 1/4 - entirely arbitrary - qv "Thickness".

Insert Bends then adds the sheetmetal functionality to enable unfolding.

If you need to add rabbits or other machined features, I'd do that in a separate configuration from the "unfold" config - some feature types (cuts) interfere with unfolding.

GalatiVeneerDemoHyperSnap.png

I'm fond of dimensioning between 3 points to spec an angle.  That's what I did with these sketches.  I'd recommend that you just convert or offset edges in your framework instead of recreating standalone sketches like these.

Steven Galati

1st let me say thanks to any and everyone that has modeled for me , i do appericate all the help!

@ harold no i only showed the 90 deg vertical wall to give you an idea of what im trying to accomplish... these would be the actual ribs i would have to accomadate. imagine having to wrap the plywood between these 2 ribs on that angle. for the most part all the designs ive seen thus far are still not angled the way i would need.

@ gerald thank you , i never thought outside the box enough to try other methods , im trying surface to sheetmetal today to see if i can find a solution.  Also the diff configs may work as well.

I still havent actually been succesful yet tho, maybe this pic will help your imagination

photo (1).JPGphoto (2).JPG

Danny Pearson

Lofted bends are definitely inconsistant at best.  Draw your plywood profile for a revolve, setting 36" from your bottom inside corner to your top outside corner.  Revolve it however far you need it.  Select "Insert Bends".  Select the long inside vertical edge as your fixed edge.  This will turn it into a sheet metal part that you can flatten.  To get the top and bottom edges flat you'll need to cut them/sand them, as they won't be flat after you form.

Untitled1.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

Harold Lakoduk

Steve,

Looking at the latest pictures you uploaded I can see that a flat panel would fit against the ribs at the 108 degree angle. If you want a curved piece to fit to the ribs, how is it attached? Is it tangent to the ribs? And what is the radius? What is the distance between the ribs?

In my example I added some flats to the part. Do you need the flats or just the curve?

It would be nice to have better images.

Steven Galati

Danny i would loved for that to have worked, for that was the 1st thing i tried but i must not have performed it properly bc i couldnt get the revolve to convert to a sheet metal part...i believe the error i was getting was , "you need to sketch on the same face"?? to sketch bends.. is that the same as insert bends? bc i had the exact profile i needed after 10 seconds of sketching a profile nd revolving..but we have a cnc that needs the flat patterns end result, so it being unfolded was a must. which lead me to ttry a million other things... it seemed like it should have way easier!... i did get it , but i would have liked to perform that ..insert bends command, if you could throw a  lil more info out about that, id appreciate it !

Steven Galati

thnx guys for the help, everyone who showed me a model, proved to me it could  be done if i kept after it...and i got it!! problem was, i was copying my base circle instead of offsetting it! rookie mistake , i know!  but its complete, the base atleast...thnx to all that helped!!photo13.JPGphoto13q.JPG

Steven Galati

end result

1A.JPG