4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2012 1:59 PM by Jim Sculley

Local revision changes to "no revision" in the middle of my workflow.

Chris Haught

I am hoping you all can help me out as I am new administrator who has been drinking from the firehose on how to use EPDM.

The first issue I am running into is I have checked in a PDF file.  I have the workflow action set the variable "Revision" with the %nextrevision% command and then perform the action Inc. Revision.  On the Version tab in explorer, the Latest Version and Local Version Match AND the local revision indicates "-" (which is what it should be for the 1st revision) AND my data card field updates to "-".  I am good to the state "Evaluating RFQ".  The only oddity to this point is the version did not increment when transition from "RFQ Not Processed" to "Evaluating RFQ".

Now here is where I get stuck; when I transition from "Evaluating RFQ" to "Confirming RFQ Quality with Customer", the latest and local version increment, but the local revision changes to "no revision" and my data card remains at "-" (which I would expect).  Any idea why this happening?

Not sure if this information is helpful or not, but if I manually Increment Revision in explorer under the Modify menu, the local revision changes from "no revision" to "A".  This seems incorrect as well because if it were at "no revision" then it should have incremented to "-".

RFQ workflow.jpg

I am stuck and at this point and would appreciated any help.  Thank you.

• Re: Local revision changes to "no revision" in the middle of my workflow.
          Jeremy Feist

first the simple one - transitions do not make new versions, unless you have a transition action that makes a new version.

revisions...

EPDM assigns the revision flag to a particular version of the file. if the version changes, but a new rev is not applied, that version shows up as "no revision" (it is after one revision, and before the next). the database still knows what the last revision was so the increment revision will take it to the next rev.

Chris Haught

Thank you for the quick feedback Jeremy.

Your explanation on the revision flag was very helpful, but I guess that leads to this question:

What drives a version change?  I am not requesting any version changes in any transitions.  In my workflow above, dropping the file in the fault sets the version to '1'.  The version changes from '1' to '2' at check in.  It does not change version number when transtioning from state '1' to '2' OR state '2' to '3'. When the file changes from the 'Evaluating RFQ' state (3) to the 'Confirming RFQ Quality with Customer' state (4), the version changes from '2' to '3'.  Note, the file was not checked out again and back in during any of my testing.

Jim Sculley

A new version may be generated when you pass through a transition that sets variables.  The system checks the file out, changes the values and then checks the file in.  The file history will show this check in.  Sometimes, check ins will happen but not show up in the history.  I have seen this when checking in a file for the first time.  The history will show the file being created and then going directly to the initial state of the workflow, even though that can't happen without a check-in.  If after adding the file, you open and save it, and check it in, the history will show the check-in.  When you have revisions involved, the system may rearrange the order of things and the history will look different than it will for a file without revisions.  See this post for details.

More than once I have stated that SolidWorks needs to provide a detailed sequence diagram of what happens and when it happens with repect to workflows, data cards,  custom properties and especially EPDM add-ins.

Jim S.

Jim Sculley

Chris Haught wrote:

I am hoping you all can help me out as I am new administrator who has been drinking from the firehose on how to use EPDM.

The first issue I am running into is I have checked in a PDF file.  I have the workflow action set the variable "Revision" with the %nextrevision% command and then perform the action Inc. Revision.  On the Version tab in explorer, the Latest Version and Local Version Match AND the local revision indicates "-" (which is what it should be for the 1st revision) AND my data card field updates to "-".  I am good to the state "Evaluating RFQ".  The only oddity to this point is the version did not increment when transition from "RFQ Not Processed" to "Evaluating RFQ".

Now here is where I get stuck; when I transition from "Evaluating RFQ" to "Confirming RFQ Quality with Customer", the latest and local version increment, but the local revision changes to "no revision" and my data card remains at "-" (which I would expect).  Any idea why this happening?

If you want your revision numbers to remain stable across states, you need to have something in Components to update for any state where you want to see the revision number.  Also, every transition that leads to that state must include an Increment Revision action.  You can use the Change Revision Counters button in the transition properties dialog if you don't want to actually change the revision (set the Increment by value to zero).  I have several transitions like this and I set the description of the Increment Revision action to something like 'No-op Increment' to avoid confusion.

Jim S.