3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 9:51 AM by Anthony Botting

How to simulate trapped heat....!

Vinay Pal

Hi Friends,

I am simulating a closed shell model which is being heated from outer surface kept at some ambient temp......

Over the period of time there will be some trapped heat or heat pockets inside the closed shell....my question is, how do i include this effect of trapped heat/heat pocket into simulation to get accurate results.

Thanks

Vinay

• Re: How to simulate trapped heat....!
          Anthony Botting

Hi Vinay: are you trying to model air that might be heated via convection from the interior walls of the shell? If that is the case, you will likely need to use the SolidWorks Flow Simulation product.

Vinay Pal

Hi Anthony,

Yes, my understanding is that although the surface is being heated upon by outer surface(active heat load) but consequently through raditaion by inner walls of this closed spherical shell, there may be some heat trapped(passive heat) inside it which is can't be released but can only be left to settle down to the steady state(interaction of this trappped heat to the outer active heat load).....

My question is: 1) Can i simulate this trapped heat by giving radiation values to the inner surface ? AND

2) what extra feature does SoliWorks Flow Simulation has to simulate such problems?

I hope you could get the zeal of this problem...

Thanks

Vinay  

Anthony Botting

Hi Vinay: yes, in the simulation package you can simulate radiation between the walls, and you can place a nominal convection heat transfer coefficient on the walls, too (there are built-in tutorials showing how to do this). The Flow simulation will calculate pointwise convective heat transfer from the walls to the air (more realistic than a nominal assignment of convection coefficient to the walls), and calculate convective currents in the air, and include buoyancy effects to the air currents if you have a gravity field.