8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2012 4:01 PM by Jacob Corder

API Guidance Needed to Split Cylindrical Faces into 3 Sections, All Faces Must be the Same Diameter but Separate Entities.

Jacob Corder

I have a feature that i am programatically creating from a database. it starts with a simple legacy hole from the hole wizard. I delete all Sketch lines from the profile sketch and create my own profile with my code.

I basically have a stepped hole with multiple diameters and depths. see the Cavity With Intersections.bmp file attached.

My next step is to define enterance points into this feature. if i can utilize faces that are inline with eachother for example split the face into 3 sections giving me the ability to verify that only the specific face can be affected by other features,  then i could use that for verification that my intersections exist and that they are correct.

See Cavity with Ports.bmp attached

More information. The locations and hole diameters that can intersect this feature are defined. i cannot add a larger hole into this feature than what is allowed. i also need a hole to intersect for another portion of my program to work, its a verification that all tasks are completed correctly. This feature i am programming is for defining fluid flow paths inside of a solid block of a material (metal, plastic, ect. not relevant)

I have tried ISplitFaceOnParam2, ISplitFaceOnParamCount2, and SplitFaceOnParam.

i do not have sample code that would help here. I am just looking for the correct direction to split a cylindrical face into 3 specific sections with the API.

Thanks for your help in advance.

• Re: API Guidance Needed to Split Cylindrical Faces into 3 Sections, All Faces Must be the Same Diameter but Separate Entities.
          Artem Taturevych

Excuse me if I miss your point but as far as I understand you need to split your face into a pieces so faces could be selected separately for some analysis.

Like in the following picture. Cylinder to the left is original one and to the right is what you are looking for.

split.png

If that's true you cannot actually use Modeler::SplitFaceOnParam. It is doing exactly what you need but it is creating new temporary faces which should be converted to temporary bodies but not affects original faces.

You may probably use the Insert->Curve->Split Line... and use projected. The API antilog is ModelDoc2::InsertSplitLineProject.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Artem Taturevych

Application Engineer at Intercad

http://intercad.com.au/

Tel: +61 2 9454 4444

• Re: API Guidance Needed to Split Cylindrical Faces into 3 Sections, All Faces Must be the Same Diameter but Separate Entities.
              Rajat Jain

Artem,

I just created a split on a cylindrical face by using Modeler::SplitFaceOnParam, saved the model and closed. Reopened the model and the split was there. It seems that the generated faces are not temporary.

I am sure Modeler::SplitFaceOnParam is the API which can be well used here. Another advantage is that it does not create any additional feature in the FeatureManager.

Hope it helps!!!

Rajat Jain

Jacob: It seems that you are developing a Manifold Design Addin on SolidWorks. If its true then you can mail me directly at rajatjain.iitd[at]gmail.com and I can support you with some resources.

Artem Taturevych

Thanks, Rajat, you are correct - it's my fault. I thought about other method (if I'm not mistaken the Surface::MakeIsoCurves ) which splits the face by curves. I've used this method before for preview purposes and remember that it is for temporarily geometry. Good catch!

Jacob Corder

Thanks for The fast responses. 

Here is my code that i am trying to get to work. any numbers in the following code were replaced with values for debugging purposes. my actual values are in a sql server that is queried for my required data.

the first time i run SplitFaceCount i recieve a return of 0, the second time it runs ill recieve an additional face, after the function ends the additional face disappears. now i dont quite know how the program is supposed to pass the parameter values.

Is it from the xyz origin or relative to the face?

SplitFaces = swModeler.ISplitFaceOnParam2

SplitFaceCount = swModeler.ISplitFaceOnParamCount2(FeatFaces(FF), swSplitFaceOnParam_e.swSplitFaceOnParamU, ((EntPoint + SFDepth) - (0.1 / 2) * InchesToMeters), SplitStatus)

SplitFaceCount = SplitFaceCount + swModeler.ISplitFaceOnParamCount2(FeatFaces(FF), swSplitFaceOnParam_e.swSplitFaceOnParamU, ((EntPoint + SFDepth) - (0.1 / 2) * InchesToMeters), SplitStatus)

SplitFaceCount = SplitFaceCount + swModeler.ISplitFaceOnParamCount2(FeatFaces(FF), swSplitFaceOnParam_e.swSplitFaceOnParamU, ((EntPoint + SFDepth) + (0.1 / 2) * InchesToMeters), SplitStatus)

SplitFaces(i) = swModeler.ISplitFaceOnParam2

'

SecondSplitFaces = swModeler.ISplitFaceOnParam2

SplitFaceCount2 = swModeler.ISplitFaceOnParamCount2(FeatFaces(FF), swSplitFaceOnParam_e.swSplitFaceOnParamV, ((EntPoint + SFDepth) - (0.1 / 2) * InchesToMeters), SplitStatus)

SplitFaceCount2 = SplitFaceCount2 + swModeler.ISplitFaceOnParamCount2(FeatFaces(FF), swSplitFaceOnParam_e.swSplitFaceOnParamV, ((EntPoint + SFDepth) - (0.1 / 2) * InchesToMeters), SplitStatus)

SplitFaceCount2 = SplitFaceCount2 + swModeler.ISplitFaceOnParamCount2(FeatFaces(FF), swSplitFaceOnParam_e.swSplitFaceOnParamV, ((EntPoint + SFDepth) + (0.1 / 2) * InchesToMeters), SplitStatus)

SecondSplitFaces(i) = swModeler.ISplitFaceOnParam2

Jacob Corder

Here are my findings with the help of Rajat Jain, and Artem Taturevych.

When Splitting Faces you can either use ISplitFaceOnParamCount2 and get the new face with iSplitFaceOnParam2 which will thet the newly split faces that ISplitFaceOnParamCount2 created, or use SplitFaceOnParam.

One thing to note is that when a rebuild happens all of the faces will then blend into one face again. I Am adding the split face function to my Macro Feature (COMFeature) to recreate these faces upon rebuild. I will be chaning this to delete the center face of the 3 and add a surface in its place.

Very IMPORTANT TO KNOW and thanks to Rajat Jain i was able to make this work.  When splitting the face you must Check that the face and surface are sensed in the same direction. This was one of my biggest hiccups, I Then applied the UV Parameters of the face to my modify the face code to ensure that the face was split correctly. 

ANOTHER VERY IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW.  Make sure you make the beggining face a safe entity so you can go back to it for any additional Face Splits. If you dont then the first split face modifies the second split faces location and it is hard to capture which face was split because the first split causes 2 faces but which face is the new one? This was also a great suggestion by Rajat Jain.

Also getting the UV bounds is required because this gives you the UV parameters of the face to which the split must apply. For example if you have a face that is 1" deep and you want to split it at .5" and .25" it is not always safe to assume that the axis which is recieved from the UV parameters starts at the beginning point of your feature (The features Face that it was created on). also they might be going in the opposite direction so the split must take this into account. 

SPLITTING A FACE OF A CYLINDER REQUIRES  the swSplitFaceOnParam_e Argument to be swSplitFaceOnParam_e.swSplitFaceOnParamV  not U

NOTE:::::: When rebuilt this will eliminate any newly created Faces. So i have set to delete the face that i want to be the center face. I ran a check to get the UV params and if my target dimension lied within the Upper and lower V parameters i delete it.

Here is the Code that i got to work.

Public Function SplitFaceInto3Sections(ByVal FeatureWithFaces As Feature) As Boolean

Try

Dim ModView As ModelView

If ModDoc Is Nothing Then ModDoc = iswapp.ActiveDoc

If SelMgr Is Nothing Then SelMgr = ModDoc.SelectionManager

Dim SelData As SelectData = SelMgr.CreateSelectData

ModDoc.ForceRebuild3(True)

ModView = ModDoc.ActiveView

Dim RectArray(3) As Double

Dim boolstatus As Boolean

Dim SFDepth As Double = CDbl(Trim(SFDepthTB.Text))

Dim FaceCount As Integer = ModifyHole.GetFaceCount()

If FaceCount = Nothing Or FaceCount = 0 Then Return False

Dim FeatFaces(FaceCount - 1) As Face2

Dim FaceObj As Object = ModifyHole.GetFaces

For i = 0 To FaceCount - 1

FeatFaces(i) = FaceObj(i)

Next

Dim ThisSurface As Surface

Dim SurfaceParams As Object

Dim TheseParams(6) As Object

Dim SurfaceRadius As Double = Nothing

Dim SurfDepth As Double = Nothing

Dim ThisRow As DataRow

Dim SurfDiameter As Double = Nothing

Dim swModeler As Modeler = iswapp.GetModeler

Dim EntDiameter As Double = Nothing

Dim EntPoint As Double = Nothing

Dim SplitStatus As Boolean

Dim SplitFaces(2) As Face2

Dim SplitSurfaces(2) As Surface

Dim SecondSplitFaces As Object = Nothing

Dim SplitFaceName(1, 1) As String

Dim IntersectionFace As Object = Nothing

Dim MinDiam As Double

Dim MaxDiam As Double

Dim CompareDiam As Double

Dim SplitFaceCount As Integer

Dim SplitFaceCount2 As Integer

Dim FaceStart As Double

Dim TopSplit As Double

Dim BottomSplit As Double

Dim MatValues(8) As Double

Dim UVBounds As Object

Dim MinUParam As Double

Dim MaxUParam As Double

Dim MinVParam As Double

Dim MaxVParam As Double

Dim FaceInSurfOpposite As Boolean

Dim BeforeFaceCount As Integer = ModifyHole.GetFaceCount

Dim FaceToSplit As Entity

Dim SafeFaceToSplit As Entity

Dim SurfParam As SurfaceParameterizationData

Dim FaceSelectedCount As Integer

Dim TheseUVBounds As Object

Dim EntPointToBottomEdge As Double

MatValues(0) = 255

MatValues(1) = 0

MatValues(2) = 0

MatValues(3) = 0

MatValues(4) = 0

MatValues(5) = 0

MatValues(6) = 0

MatValues(7) = 0

MatValues(8) = 0

Dim IntValues(8) As Double

IntValues(0) = 0

IntValues(1) = 255

IntValues(2) = 0

IntValues(3) = 0

IntValues(4) = 0

IntValues(5) = 0

IntValues(6) = 0

IntValues(7) = 0

IntValues(8) = 0

Dim FaceUVBounds(2, 6) As Double

For FF = 0 To FaceCount - 1

ThisSurface = FeatFaces(FF).GetSurface

Debug.Print("Surface is Revolved = " & ThisSurface.IsRevolved)

If ThisSurface.IsCylinder = True Then

SurfaceParams = ThisSurface.CylinderParams

For i = 0 To 6

TheseParams(i) = SurfaceParams(i) / InchesToMeters

Next

For i = 0 To FeatureSpecsDataTable.Rows.Count - 1

If Not SelMgr.GetSelectedObjectCount2(-1) = 0 Then ModDoc.ClearSelection2(True)

ThisRow = FeatureSpecsDataTable.Rows(i)

MinDiam = ThisRow("MinDiameter")

MaxDiam = ThisRow("MaxDiameter")

CompareDiam = Math.Round((TheseParams(6) * 2), 4)

EntDiameter = ThisRow("EntDiameter")

EntPoint = ThisRow("EntPoint")

SurfDepth = ThisRow("Depth")

SurfDiameter = ThisRow("MinDiameter")

If Not EntPoint >= SurfDepth Then

If Not EntDiameter = 0 And Not EntPoint = 0 Then

If MinDiam <= CompareDiam And MaxDiam >= CompareDiam Then

FaceToSplit = Nothing

SafeFaceToSplit = Nothing

FaceToSplit = FeatFaces(FF)

SafeFaceToSplit = FaceToSplit.GetSafeEntity()

SurfParam = ThisSurface.Parameterization2()

UVBounds = FeatFaces(FF).GetUVBounds

MinUParam = CDbl(UVBounds(0))

MaxUParam = CDbl(UVBounds(1))

MinVParam = CDbl(UVBounds(2))

MaxVParam = CDbl(UVBounds(3))

FaceInSurfOpposite = FeatFaces(FF).FaceInSurfaceSense

If MinVParam > MaxVParam Then 'Minvparam + (depth - entrancepoint) - 1/2 ent diam

TopSplit = Math.Round((MinVParam / InchesToMeters), 4) + ((SurfDepth - EntPoint) - (EntDiameter / 2))

BottomSplit = Math.Round((MinVParam / InchesToMeters), 4) + ((SurfDepth - EntPoint) + (EntDiameter / 2))

ElseIf MinVParam < MaxVParam Then 'Maxvparam + (depth - entrancepoint)

BottomSplit = Math.Round((MaxVParam / InchesToMeters), 4) - ((SurfDepth - EntPoint) - (EntDiameter / 2))

TopSplit = Math.Round((MaxVParam / InchesToMeters), 4) - ((SurfDepth - EntPoint) + (EntDiameter / 2))

ElseIf MinVParam = MaxVParam Then

AddIntersections = False

Exit Function

Else

End If

SplitFaces(0) = FeatFaces(FF)

If Not SplitFaces(0) Is Nothing Then SplitFaces(0).SetMaterialPropertyValues2(MatValues, swInConfigurationOpts_e.swAllConfiguration, ModDoc.GetConfigurationNames)

SplitFaceCount = swModeler.ISplitFaceOnParamCount2(SafeFaceToSplit, swSplitFaceOnParam_e.swSplitFaceOnParamV, (TopSplit * InchesToMeters), SplitStatus)

SplitFaces(1) = swModeler.ISplitFaceOnParam2

If Not SplitFaces(1) Is Nothing Then SplitFaces(1).SetMaterialPropertyValues2(MatValues, swInConfigurationOpts_e.swAllConfiguration, ModDoc.GetConfigurationNames)

SplitFaceCount2 = swModeler.ISplitFaceOnParamCount2(SafeFaceToSplit, swSplitFaceOnParam_e.swSplitFaceOnParamV, (BottomSplit * InchesToMeters), SplitStatus)

SplitFaces(2) = swModeler.ISplitFaceOnParam2

If Not SplitFaces(2) Is Nothing Then SplitFaces(2).SetMaterialPropertyValues2(IntValues, swInConfigurationOpts_e.swAllConfiguration, ModDoc.GetConfigurationNames)

For stf = 0 To 2 Step 1

EntPointToBottomEdge = (EntPoint * InchesToMeters)

If Not SplitFaces(stf) Is Nothing Then

TheseUVBounds = SplitFaces(stf).GetUVBounds()

If Math.Abs(TheseUVBounds(2)) > EntPointToBottomEdge And Math.Abs(TheseUVBounds(3)) < EntPointToBottomEdge Then

ModDoc.ClearSelection2(True)

boolstatus = SelMgr.AddSelectionListObject(SplitFaces(stf), SelData)

If SelMgr.GetSelectedObjectCount2(-1) = 1 Then boolstatus = ModDoc.Extension.InsertDeleteFace(swFaceDeleteOption_e.swFaceDelete_Default)

Debug.Print("Face Deleted = " & boolstatus)

ElseIf Math.Abs(TheseUVBounds(2)) < EntPointToBottomEdge And Math.Abs(TheseUVBounds(3)) > EntPointToBottomEdge Then

ModDoc.ClearSelection2(True)

boolstatus = SelMgr.AddSelectionListObject(SplitFaces(stf), SelData)

If SelMgr.GetSelectedObjectCount2(-1) = 1 Then boolstatus = ModDoc.Extension.InsertDeleteFace(swFaceDeleteOption_e.swFaceDelete_Default)

Debug.Print("Face Deleted = " & boolstatus)

End If

For UVB = 0 To 3

FaceUVBounds(stf, UVB) = TheseUVBounds(UVB)

Next

End If

Next stf

ModView.GraphicsRedraw(RectArray)

FaceSelectedCount = SelMgr.AddSelectionListObjects(SplitFaces, SelData)

If FaceSelectedCount = 0 Then SelMgr.AddSelectionListObjects(SplitSurfaces, SelData)

If FaceSelectedCount > 0 Then

ModDoc.InsertFeatureReplaceFace()

Debug.Print("Face Split = " & SplitStatus)

End If

ModDoc.InsertFeatureReplaceFace()

Debug.Print("Face Split = " & SplitStatus)

End If

End If

End If

Next

End If

Next

Catch ex As Exception

iswapp.SendMsgToUser2(ex.Message, swMessageBoxIcon_e.swMbWarning, swMessageBoxBtn_e.swMbOk)

Finally

End Try

End Function

Jacob Corder

I Have come across some additional Data.  If you are to Use this in conjunction with a macro feature, make the macro feature regenerate function create these split faces, They will not ever become temporary. See below i have created the split faces along with the second image having them all selected. Works very well. Feel free to ask any questions about this.

Cavity With Intersections Complete.bmpCavity Intersections Selected.bmp