12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2012 1:42 AM by Lope Timajo

Customer case study

Lope Timajo

Hi,

Our company was invited by a SW local reseller here in the Philippines to make a presentation in SolidWorks Innovation Day on October 19, 2012. I am assigned to do the presentation. I have already prepared my materials. I just wanna ask tips in order for my presentation to be successful. Hope you can give some input. Thanks in advance.

• Re: Customer case study
          Deepak Gupta

Practice, Practice and Practice.

Speak clearly and make sure you've good eye-contact with the attendees. Be prepared for questions. Check these videos on youtube if these help.

Joe Kuzich

Deepak is right on.  The biggest things you can do when presenting is to practice a lot.  If you really know the material you will not have read it to the audience.  That means you can have good eye contact with the crowd and you'll be more relaxed.  Both show a higher level of confidence and help your audience believe your credibility. 

Try to think about what kind of questions people will ask you and how you should respond.  It helps to practice with an audience you know, friends, co-workers & family.  One thing that I always appreciate is if someone asks a question that you don't know, just be honest.  I am much more happy to hear someone say, "you know I'm not sure but I bet we could find out by...".  A horrible thing to do is to lie and pretend you know and make something up.  There is always someone who will call you out on it or just knows the truth and that ruins your credibility.

Lope Timajo

Thank you Sir Deepak. Thanks for the eye contact tip. I have been practicing but tend to forget that eye contact part.

Raghvendra Bhargava

I will only suggest dont put too much writing in ppt ...add more and more pictures and videos...

all the best

Walter Fetsch

The worst thing in any presentation is when the speaker has a Powerpoint presentation or handouts and then reads them to the audience.  If they're going to give the lecture in writing, there is no need for a speaker.

The better you know your material, the better your presentation will be.  Great speakers don't need notes.  They might use an outline to keep them on track, but they are so familiar with the material that they don't need a document to tell them what to say.  Their presentations flow and sound natural because they're not working from a memorized speech, they actually know what to say without it.

Lope Timajo

Thank you very much for the input. I have created my own presentation material (ppt) and had also written a write up (word doc), which is somewhat the explanation of what is on the ppt which mean i have a first hand knowledge of what i have to present. my only fear is, i might got lost (mental block).

Jerry Steiger

Lope,

Practicing, particularly in fronf of a live audience, is the best way to get over your fear of a mental block. Be sure that all of the equipment is set up and working correctly before the presentation so that you can be more relaxed before you start. It's great if you can mingle with the audience and talk to them one on one before you start the formal presentation.

There was a nice thread in the SolidWorks World forum about just this question, but I think that the forum is no longer live. That's where I stole the above from.

Jerry S.