5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2012 6:42 PM by Lenny Bucholz

Importing in 3DM, IGS, RPT, then exporting as an STL

Seb Baucutt

Hi there,

I am a student, new to the forum and looking for a fair bit of help. I was recently on work experience with a large yacht design company in the UK, and whilst there completed a design project of my own choosing. They allowed me to take away the designs to be rapid prototyped at school, and invited me back once I had completed them.

However, the file types that I have are one of either IGS, 3DM, or RPT, having been exported from rhino. Once I import them into Solidworks, they are immediately flagged up by the import diaganostics, as they have 'faulty faces and gaps'. Due to the complexity of the hull surface, I am struggling to see how to fix all 109 of these problems and thus was wondering if anyone would be able to assist either by seeing it as a challenge or walking me through how to do it?

I will happily send the design via email, mine is *baucutts (at) tonbridge-school (.) org*.

Many Thanks

Seb Baucutt

P.s. 3dm file now attached as requested

Message was edited by: Seb Baucutt

• Re: Importing in 3DM, IGS, RPT, then exporting as an STL
          Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SolidWorks forums Seb.

The errors can be sometimes due to un-proper importing from different file format. For a quick test, I opened up your IGS file in SolidWorks and save it as parasolid file. Then I reopened that parasolid file in SolidWorks and all errors were gone. In case you need that, I can send the parasolid file to you or you can try on your own and then create your STL file.

In case this is not what you need, please explain what else you are looking for.

You might also find this post helpful for your future reference.

Lenny Bucholz

Can you also put up the 3DM rhino files?

Seb Baucutt

Hi, firstly thanks for the replies. Though I tried the method you suggested with the Parasolid conversion Deepak, it did not work. Lenny, I am not entirely sure, but I believe that it  was created with surfaces, since the original hull form was imported from Maxsurf. Unfortunately, I haven't the ability/experience to do what you are suggesting, as I am only an infrequent user, so would need plenty of help on that front!

Seb

Lenny Bucholz

Seb,

Like you, all of us were in your place when we first got started with SW and surfacing is a whole different game when you don't have the solid side down yet.

What is hard is to explain what to do to the SW file to help you out, just like you we would have to start working, use some of the automated feature to help get some bodies out and then mess with the surfaces that are remaining.

Here is the long and short of it, we usally don't have alot of time ourselves to work thru this, most if not all of us had to learn our tricks by the seat of our pants, do this, fail that, get that to work or not.

So read up on healing the surfaces to try and make solid bodies, then save the file, try more and save, try again and save and make a back up at the sametime just in case.

you'll get there just have to put in the time.

lenny

Message was edited by: Lenny Bucholz