3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 12:17 PM by Eric Ryan

Pressure/Cosmos/shell

Tanbir Gill

HI,

I am new to this forum,I am working for a Valve manufacturing company,I am right now in process of finishing my solidworks course.

• Can Cosmo Flow analysis can be used to determine Shell Thickness of a Valve body for given Flow presurre,
      • Whole point of this  excersis is to determine correct shell thickness of a Valve in order to save material cost
      • For Eg If a Valve with pressure rating PN 16 MPA casted in SG iron what would be optimum wall thickness for this Valve body to sustain given pressure

I would apperciate all the help I can get from all the forum members.

• Re: Pressure/Cosmos/shell
          Eric Ryan

Hello Tanbir,

You would have to use Solidworks Simulation to do a structural analysis of the valve body.   You can do optimization studies based on the valve geometry to determine the optimal wall thickness.  Flow Simulation may help you determine the pressure loads on the valve for whatever fluid, and inlet/exit pressures are applied.  There are several tutuorials in the Help for Simulation that you could look at. 

Hope this is of some help.

Eric

Tanbir Gill

thanks fro reply,if possible can you please post a link to such a tutuorial

Eric Ryan

Tanbir, 

Here are some screen shots for how to get to the tutorial.  You do have to have Simulation as part of your Solidworks installation.  First you go to Tools, Add-ins to start the program.  Then you go to the help section under the Simulation menue.  If you don't have Simulation, then you may be out of luck.  You might need to talk to your CAD admin or Solidworks reseller if you company needs to buy it.

Good luck.

Eric

add-in.jpg

simulaton tutorial.jpg