5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2012 1:22 PM by Mech Eng

How to simulate gear...?

Mech Eng

I ask if any one have tutorial or example of analysis study of gear that is part of gear box,

like My picture profile

Thanks to all .

• Re: How to simulate gear...?
          Bill McEachern

what would the oject of the analysis be? Gear box loads or analysis of the gear teeth or maybe something else?

Mech Eng

Thank you Bill

I mean If the gear can carry the load in safety without it crashs

In other meaning, After designing the gear box we should study it, if the maximum of stress less than yield strength after loading the gear

Mech Eng

No help yet.

Plz, Help

Dave Laban

Expecting someone to have provided an answer in under a day comes across as a little impatient, but anyway..

Looking at the full assembly in any sensible level of detail is going to be a massive pain in the rear and if you get it working sensibly, will take quite some time to solve. 

Presumably you know the input torque in to the system, and can get a reasonable estimate of the resistance to the output?  Use the gear ratios to get the torque transfer to the gear of interest.  Cut the model so you only have a small wedge portion of the meshing gears, apply cyclic symmetry to each of the wedges (to allow some out-of-plane motion due to torque) then load it up.  Repeat for each gear interaction, check the worst case out of them.

Being a gearbox I would have thought fatigue loading would have been of more concern than a single loading event?  In which case material yield stress would not be your failure criterion, but instead the endurance limit of the material/geometry.